• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdgarcia

What is the name of your state? California

Some background:
The company sent us a questionaire to fill in and give back in order to get an accurate price for the year. I held onto it until the beginning of July (the policy was due to expire on the 23rd of July) and then filled it in and returned it so I would have a price to bring to the meeting to help everyone decide on whether we should keep it or drop it. We decided to drop it. I can't remember if our meeting was before or after the due date of the payment, but regardless I did not pay the bill. What I also DIDN'T do was call to cancel (figuring we no longer had insurance if the expiration date had passed and we had not made the payment). I received another bill a while later (2 weeks, a month?) and decided I better call them and let them know to stop sending it. They said I needed to write up something stating we no longer wished to have the insurance and send it to them along with the (proposed) policy. I did that and personally dropped it off. A while later they contacted me and said I owe an "earned premium" of $377 on the first part of the policy and $250 on the auto part, saying the auto part is a flat rate and once it renews you can't get it refunded. I've gone round and round with them over the fact that I never stated that I wanted to renew and on no part of that paperwork does it say it will automatically renew on such and such date. It simply says it is effective from xx to xx. First they said that it's a California law that you must notify an insurance company 30 days in advance, in writing, to cancel a policy. Then they said that by returning the questionaire they believed we were renewing. I pointed out that the questionaire is for an accurate price (as it says) and that we needed that to make the decision to renew or not and it did not say by returning it we were agreeing to renew.

What to do?? :mad:

Edited to add: this is a homeowners association insurance against liability.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

cdgarcia said:
What is the name of your state? California

Some background:
The company sent us a questionaire to fill in and give back in order to get an accurate price for the year. I held onto it until the beginning of July (the policy was due to expire on the 23rd of July) and then filled it in and returned it so I would have a price to bring to the meeting to help everyone decide on whether we should keep it or drop it. We decided to drop it. I can't remember if our meeting was before or after the due date of the payment, but regardless I did not pay the bill. What I also DIDN'T do was call to cancel (figuring we no longer had insurance if the expiration date had passed and we had not made the payment). I received another bill a while later (2 weeks, a month?) and decided I better call them and let them know to stop sending it. They said I needed to write up something stating we no longer wished to have the insurance and send it to them along with the (proposed) policy. I did that and personally dropped it off. A while later they contacted me and said I owe an "earned premium" of $377 on the first part of the policy and $250 on the auto part, saying the auto part is a flat rate and once it renews you can't get it refunded. I've gone round and round with them over the fact that I never stated that I wanted to renew and on no part of that paperwork does it say it will automatically renew on such and such date. It simply says it is effective from xx to xx. First they said that it's a California law that you must notify an insurance company 30 days in advance, in writing, to cancel a policy. Then they said that by returning the questionaire they believed we were renewing. I pointed out that the questionaire is for an accurate price (as it says) and that we needed that to make the decision to renew or not and it did not say by returning it we were agreeing to renew.

What to do?? :mad:

Edited to add: this is a homeowners association insurance against liability.
I give up...what are you talking about?

cdgarcia

Okay, I suppose I didn't explain myself very well. I'm talking about trying to cancel my homeowners association insurance and being required to pay an "earned premium" even though I never renewed the policy (didn't pay the bill and didn't ask to renew, only filled out the questionaire to get a price for the year, then took it to the association meeting for a vote, which was turned down). This is a liability only policy plus a car policy for the officers appointed and it "supposedly" protects us from being sued should someone get hurt on our private road (someone other than a resident).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">