• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intellectual Property When Changing Jobs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobspero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am looking to take a new job at a different company, in my current company I have been awarded several utility patients. In the new company I would like to adopt some of the practices that have been patient. I am listed as the inventor with my company listed as the Original Assignee.

One example is using database information to find a specific anomaly with my fleet using an algorithm, the new company does not use the same system to track their fleet but I would look look to create a way to identify the same anomaly. Because the are two different systems the algorithm would not be identical it needs to be modified.

I never signed an intellectual property agreement and the algorithm would not be the same, so is there anything legally I can do when I leave to make it clear I will be implementing some of the practices in the new company. Also these are not competing companies so non-compete agreement does not apply.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am looking to take a new job at a different company, in my current company I have been awarded several utility patients. In the new company I would like to adopt some of the practices that have been patient. I am listed as the inventor with my company listed as the Original Assignee.

One example is using database information to find a specific anomaly with my fleet using an algorithm, the new company does not use the same system to track their fleet but I would look look to create a way to identify the same anomaly. Because the are two different systems the algorithm would not be identical it needs to be modified.

I never signed an intellectual property agreement and the algorithm would not be the same, so is there anything legally I can do when I leave to make it clear I will be implementing some of the practices in the new company. Also these are not competing companies so non-compete agreement does not apply.
Hey, bobspero, I think you lost your way on the forum. ;)

Your question would have been better placed in the Intellectual Property section of the forum as it has nothing to do with Legal Ethics or Lawyer Malpractice.

You say that the patents you were issued have your current employer listed as the Original Assignee. When you assign rights, you transfer your own rights in the patent to another party in exchange for money or royalties on future sales.

You should consult with an IP attorney in your area for a personal review of your rights in the patents, and you should read over carefully your employment contract with your current employer.

eerelations

Posting history. OP appears to be a troll. Or a lifeguard. Or male. Or female. Or a teenager. Or a parent. Or mentally ill. Or not mentally ill. Or some combination thereof.

quincy

Posting history. OP appears to be a troll. Or a lifeguard. Or male. Or female. Or a teenager. Or a parent. Or mentally ill. Or not mentally ill. Or some combination thereof.
bobspero DOES have a rathering interesting history on this forum. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">