• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invoicing Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jake DeMann

After payment of $6,000 to my California attorney as retainer for divorce representation, I was not invoiced for 3 years. He then sent me a bill for $22,000 and is now charging me 10% interest per month on the outstanding balance. You may ask why I didn't inquire and the answer was that I kept thinking the divorce case would be over and then we would figure out the bills. Plus I was not aware that we were over the $6k. I am not sure if there are any precedence set on this kind of invoicing, but it is nearly impossible to actually check the invoice for accuracy since it has been so long since the services were done. It seems quite unethical or unfair to invoice in this way and then charge 10% on a balance that your client didnt' know existed. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This is in California.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Thank you for your heart-felt post. It was both exciting... and full of suspense. One thing that was missing though.... A QUESTION!!!

Dandy Don

His actions are improper. You are entitled to a bill that shows billable hours (an itemized description of exactly what services he performed on what days and how many hours he spent doing those tasks that day). If there is no such specific list of billable hours for the intervening 3 years that show exactly what he did for you in that time period (or before or after then), then you should decline to pay the bill until it is submitted correctly. And you should also be shopping for a new attorney to assist you with your current needs and in firing the previous one. You may want to even consider filing a complaint with the state bar association if they handle fee disputes (some bar associations do, others do not).

Jake DeMann

Invoicing Ethics

Thanks for your reply, apparently the rocket scientist before you couldn't connect the dots. I guess he needed someone to hold his hand and walk him through it, glad to see that you are equipped with the common sense that he is not. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">