• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judicial duties and ethics quandry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuvbinDuped

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

While sitting at my friends house she recieved a call from D Wisconsin Judge R. I thought this in and of itself was rather peculiar but what transpired in the conversation was even more startling to me and left me in a quandry. Perhaps I am wrong about this which is why I am posting this thread to be set straight.

What transpired is this: Judge R called XXX, now 25, and threatened her with warrants and jail time if she did not pay these fines from ten years ago when she was a minor under the care of her quadriplegic and now deceased mother. These fines were for truancy, which occured due to her caring for her disabled parent, and other misdemeanors. What nags me is that this judge has taken it upon himself to be an agent/advocate for the state. Furthermore, the statute of limitations is only 3 years on misdemeanors and for a crime which occurred prior to an individuals 18th birthday it runs out on their 20th birthday so how can this guy ressurect cases in such a way? Isn't this also a conflict of interest when a judge becomes an advocate of the state? Isn't he supposed to be impartial and unbiased? Wouldn't those fines have been the responsibility of her parents? There are a lot of people questioning the ethics of this judge due to this new practice. Am I missing something here? Please set me straight. Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

While sitting at my friends house she recieved a call from D Wisconsin Judge R. I thought this in and of itself was rather peculiar but what transpired in the conversation was even more startling to me and left me in a quandry. Perhaps I am wrong about this which is why I am posting this thread to be set straight.

What transpired is this: Judge R called XXX, now 25, and threatened her with warrants and jail time if she did not pay these fines from ten years ago when she was a minor under the care of her quadriplegic and now deceased mother. These fines were for truancy, which occured due to her caring for her disabled parent, and other misdemeanors. What nags me is that this judge has taken it upon himself to be an agent/advocate for the state. Furthermore, the statute of limitations is only 3 years on misdemeanors and for a crime which occurred prior to an individuals 18th birthday it runs out on their 20th birthday so how can this guy ressurect cases in such a way? Isn't this also a conflict of interest when a judge becomes an advocate of the state? Isn't he supposed to be impartial and unbiased? Wouldn't those fines have been the responsibility of her parents? There are a lot of people questioning the ethics of this judge due to this new practice. Am I missing something here? Please set me straight. Thankyou.
I have to admit, that certainly sounds odd. I would also certainly find it hard to believe that a judge would have the time or interest in making collection calls on 10 year old fines that were issued to minors at the time.

I suspect that this was a collection agent pretending to be a judge. I would be curious enough to find out if any such judge exists in WI, and would even perhaps call said judge's office to find out whether or not the judge would be likely to be making collection calls.

Hot Topic

Why do YOU need to be "set straight?" Was anything that was said to your "friend" any of your business? Your "report" on someone else's private telephone conversation is so detailed that I suspect you're the "friend."

There are (supposedly) a lot of people questioning the ethics of the judge, etc., etc. Sounds like you're the one who "filled them in."

tranquility

Nothing here makes sense.

No, judges don't do that. It's not that it is against ethics, it's just that they're busier than being a phone call debt collector for the government.

I'm thinking the OP didn't eavesdrop competently.

LdiJ

Why do YOU need to be "set straight?" Was anything that was said to your "friend" any of your business? Your "report" on someone else's private telephone conversation is so detailed that I suspect you're the "friend."

There are (supposedly) a lot of people questioning the ethics of the judge, etc., etc. Sounds like you're the one who "filled them in."
I honestly don't see any real harm in someone being curious about a situation that doesn't seem right to them...or in trying to ask questions to get educated about something that seems wrong to them.

I think everybody here is pretty much in agreement that judges don't make those kinds of phone calls. So, either it was someone pretending to be a judge (wouldn't surprise me as bill collectors lie all the time), or as Tranq said, the OP didn't eavesdrop well.

YuvbinDuped

I have to admit, that certainly sounds odd. I would also certainly find it hard to believe that a judge would have the time or interest in making collection calls on 10 year old fines that were issued to minors at the time.

I suspect that this was a collection agent pretending to be a judge. I would be curious enough to find out if any such judge exists in WI, and would even perhaps call said judge's office to find out whether or not the judge would be likely to be making collection calls.
Did you read the article at the link I posted? It was the Judge. I called him back and argued with him about this myself. This is outrageous as far as I am concerned. I plan on writing some letters to the editor about this.

YuvbinDuped

My friend is as I stated, Ravyn.I am a male 25 years older than her. I told the facts as I know them and do not need you to insult me or accuse me of wrongdoing. My friend needs my help and I am doing what I can but wonder what possible loophole this judge is using to reopen ten year old cases and take people to task for them in what I think tobe an erroneous, unethical and ilegal manner. I came here for information nothing more.

Proserpina

Did you read the article at the link I posted? It was the Judge. I called him back and argued with him about this myself. This is outrageous as far as I am concerned. I plan on writing some letters to the editor about this.

You called the Judge?

And how did that go?

YuvbinDuped

YuvbinDuped

My friend is as I stated, Ravyn.I am a male 25 years older than her. I told the facts as I know them and do not need you to insult me or accuse me of wrongdoing. My friend needs my help and I am doing what I can but wonder what possible loophole this judge is using to reopen ten year old cases and take people to task for them in what I think tobe an erroneous, unethical and ilegal manner. I came here for information nothing more.

YuvbinDuped

Nothing here makes sense.

No, judges don't do that. It's not that it is against ethics, it's just that they're busier than being a phone call debt collector for the government.

I'm thinking the OP didn't eavesdrop competently.
This Judge DID do it and I think it is a conflict of interest! Doya really think I would be posting this for kicks? If so your a moron!

The article I posted confirms what I am saying. I'm looking for information which will helpme write this guy up for illegally ressurecting dead cases for which the statutes of limitations have run their course. I personally believe this judge should be disbarred!

YuvbinDuped

I honestly don't see any real harm in someone being curious about a situation that doesn't seem right to them...or in trying to ask questions to get educated about something that seems wrong to them.

I think everybody here is pretty much in agreement that judges don't make those kinds of phone calls. So, either it was someone pretending to be a judge (wouldn't surprise me as bill collectors lie all the time), or as Tranq said, the OP didn't eavesdrop well.
I was right next to the girl that recieved the call and she told me it was the D Judge R. I called him back at the cellphone number he called her at and argued with him about it because it didn't sound legal and she doesn't have the almost thousand dollars he'sdemanding. I don't know why they did not post the link but here it is again. If for some reason it does not post, just put "Delavan Judge, clerk, working to restore court" into the google search and it should come up.

Isis1

This Judge DID do it and I think it is a conflict of interest! Doya really think I would be posting this for kicks? If so your a moron!

The article I posted confirms what I am saying. I'm looking for information which will helpme write this guy up for illegally ressurecting dead cases for which the statutes of limitations have run their course. I personally believe this judge should be disbarred!
alot of poster post stuff just for kicks. so keep in mind what you are saying is a bit off. judges don't make phones calls in the manner you are describing. so....let's try again.

you can't write up anyone. i hate to break it to you, but you don't have that authority. what you can do, is file a complaint. with who? i'm thinking his boss. what the boss does with that information is not in your control or your business.

as for tickets, charges, they don't disappear. if she was charged, she was charged. there is no statute of limitations to collect for a crimanal fine. those can follow you to your death bed. there's a statute of limitations to CHARGE the person. totally different animal.

YuvbinDuped

You called the Judge?

And how did that go?
I told him I didnot believe what he was doing to be legal? Read the article at this link which I posted in the original thread but for some reason is not showing up. Here is the link.

Here are my points:

Why is the local media not questioning the ethics of this judge, but instead praising him?

I realize city coffers are running on empty but how is it that this judge is getting away with this behavior?

Judges are not supposed to do any of this stuff. He is violating the SCRules of professional conduct.

There are statutes of limitations and she was a minor.

I'm not whining, I'm just sick and tired of our corrupt government and its equally corrupt legal system. It's time to make a stand and awaken people to this crap!

These cases are dead and should never have been brought back up! This judge is a criminal as far as I am concerned.

YuvbinDuped

alot of poster post stuff just for kicks. so keep in mind what you are saying is a bit off. judges don't make phones calls in the manner you are describing. so....let's try again.

you can't write up anyone. i hate to break it to you, but you don't have that authority. what you can do, is file a complaint. with who? i'm thinking his boss. what the boss does with that information is not in your control or your business.

I can write newspaper articles and I intend to!

as for tickets, charges, they don't disappear. if she was charged, she was charged. there is no statute of limitations to collect for a crimanal fine. those can follow you to your death bed. there's a statute of limitations to CHARGE the person. totally different animal.
I disagree! Why in Gods name do you think they have statutes of limitations? She was a minor when the offense occurred which made them her parents responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">