• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juror Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sogrady17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was called to be on a civil trial and asked if I could provide an unbiased account while serving during this week. I explained that I am a graduate student and I would be missing classes this week, but I agreed that missing one week of classes would be acceptable. However, now the deliberations are extending beyond this week and I'd like to know what the consequences will be if I do not show up next week? As I need to attend my classes next week or I will suffer academically and may even receive in-completes and I have midterms next week. I am very upset that as a juror I have no control over what is going on and I am wondering as a juror what can I do about this situation????

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Communicate with the court about your concerns. Simply "not showing up" may land you in jail.

Mass_Shyster

I suspect the penalty for abandoning your duties will be far more severe than the consequences of missing a few classes.

See http://www.nyjuror.gov/juryQandA.shtml#NotReport

Jury duty, like paying taxes, is mandatory. Skipping jury duty can result in civil or criminal penalties.
[

quincy

You should contact your local Commissioner of Jurors and ask to be excused (not to say that your request will be granted, however).

Edit: sogrady17, IGNORE THIS POST.

Thanks, tranq, for the correction. :)

Last edited:

tranquility

Once the jury has the case, the jury commissioner has no say any longer. (Actually, once the jury is empaneled.) The OP has to contact the judge. If he just didn't show up, it could put the whole trial at risk and the judge would almost have to have the marshal/bailiff/police to find and bring the OP to court to find out what happened before an alternate could be appointed and the deliberations started again. I assume the judge would not be happy with this and, unless the reason was some emergency, the OP would be found in criminal contempt.

ecmst12

I think you are best off communicating your problems to your SCHOOL, and seeing what they can do to accomodate you. I think you will find them cooperative.

You Are Guilty

Once the jury has the case, the jury commissioner has no say any longer. (Actually, once the jury is empaneled.) The OP has to contact the judge. If he just didn't show up, it could put the whole trial at risk and the judge would almost have to have the marshal/bailiff/police to find and bring the OP to court to find out what happened before an alternate could be appointed and the deliberations started again. I assume the judge would not be happy with this and, unless the reason was some emergency, the OP would be found in criminal contempt.
^This.

OP, send a note to the judge (via the court officer who takes you to/from the jury room), explaining your issue. The usual procedure is to call you in with the attorneys for both sides to discuss it. If you still have both alternates available, they are usually pretty good about letting you go, assuming you make a good case for it. Some judges are "worse" than others about this issue, so because nothing is guaranteed, speaking to your school is a good backup plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">