• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury Duty - call in sick help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hang'm high

I need some thoughts. I am in jury duty with a trial that may last 14 days.
The problem is that I am self employed and haven't been working much. I have a day of work coming that I can't miss to attend the trial. I desperately need the money. I told this to the judge, but he still put me on the Jury. I need to have this day of work. I have talked to the Judge and told him of my situation about this day of work. If they don't work out the trial schedule, I need a plan.

What should I do seriously to make sure that I get this day of work without getting myself into trouble. Call in sick? How what should I do, say etc?

Last edited:

JETX

What should I do seriously to make sure that I get this day of work without getting myself into trouble. Call in sick? How what should I do, say etc?
I doubt that any RESPONSIBLE member of this LEGAL forum will assist you in avoiding your civic duty to society.

hang'm high

Don't give the civic duty to society BS. I will do my duty, however, I do need the work though.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

OK, since you didn't like Jetx's answer, let me try:

I doubt any RESPONSIBLE member of this LEGAL forum will assist you in avoiding jury duty.

Besides, how will you explain it to the judge when they send someone to your home to see just how sick you are????

hang'm high

Listen to what I am saying.... Please don't recite a text book response back to me.
My post has not looked for any advise on civic duty avoidance or anything. I am and will attend the trial. I have made it clear from the beginning to the Judge and representation that this day is not at all good. Never mind losing any other opportunities for other work for such a long trial and being self employed in this economy. If any of you Attorneys and or a Judges had any schedule conflict then the trial dates would change. Why not me?

Last edited:

wyett717

There is not a way to lie yourself out of jury duty without getting into trouble. Employment conflicts are very rarely an acceptable excuse for missing jury duty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">