• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury Duty Financial Hardship Excuse Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coquetta

I live in the state of California. I was denied a financial hardship excuse for jury duty even though I have 4 part-time jobs. One week of work is 25% of my month's income, losing that would be dire. I explained all this to the court, yet my request was still denied. What are my options at this point? I cannot afford to lose work for one week.

sandyclaus

I live in the state of California. I was denied a financial hardship excuse for jury duty even though I have 4 part-time jobs. One week of work is 25% of my month's income, losing that would be dire. I explained all this to the court, yet my request was still denied. What are my options at this point? I cannot afford to lose work for one week.
These days, most jury duty is done by appearing for the first day of the week, and if you get through that day without being called for a jury, you are released for the remainder. Or, like here in Los Angeles County, it's a call-in system, where you check in to see if your group number is called up for the following day for up to a week. In each instance, one isn't necessarily committed to stay out for the entire week from work, or potentially only a part of a day depending on the jury duty service program they have.

You'd be surprised at how many people try to get out of jury duty by claiming financial hardship. With 4 part-time jobs, there's no guarantee that you would even be missing an entire work shift from all four jobs on any given day.

Clearly the judge disagrees with your financial hardship excuse. Maybe you can re-schedule your appearance, but I wouldn't count on getting out of it entirely. Buck it up and do your civil duty and get it done and over with.

coquetta

These days, most jury duty is done by appearing for the first day of the week, and if you get through that day without being called for a jury, you are released for the remainder. Or, like here in Los Angeles County, it's a call-in system, where you check in to see if your group number is called up for the following day for up to a week. In each instance, one isn't necessarily committed to stay out for the entire week from work, or potentially only a part of a day depending on the jury duty service program they have.

You'd be surprised at how many people try to get out of jury duty by claiming financial hardship. With 4 part-time jobs, there's no guarantee that you would even be missing an entire work shift from all four jobs on any given day.

Clearly the judge disagrees with your financial hardship excuse. Maybe you can re-schedule your appearance, but I wouldn't count on getting out of it entirely. Buck it up and do your civil duty and get it done and over with.
hi SandyClaus, thx for the response. I do live in LA County & my notice says I can be excused from jury duty that may last LONGER than 7 days but not if it's 7 days or less. Court hours are approximately 8-5 no? Most of my work is done by then though sometimes I work a little later. There's really no way for me to "make-up" my shifts so unfortunately if I'm in court, I lose the money. I guess the other alternative is to plead my case to the judge if I get selected for a trial lasting longer than a day?

sandyclaus

hi SandyClaus, thx for the response. I do live in LA County & my notice says I can be excused from jury duty that may last LONGER than 7 days but not if it's 7 days or less. Court hours are approximately 8-5 no? Most of my work is done by then though sometimes I work a little later. There's really no way for me to "make-up" my shifts so unfortunately if I'm in court, I lose the money. I guess the other alternative is to plead my case to the judge if I get selected for a trial lasting longer than a day?
Well, the good news is that the call-in system frees you up for the most part for the entire week you are required to serve. You call in the night before to see if you have to appear the next day. That happens every night for the entire week. You may never even have to set foot in the courthouse.

Of course, if you have missed a prior jury duty assignment, they may actually require you to come in on day one. However, I happen to know that if you do that, then LA County does the one day/one jury and done. After one day of sitting in the jury selection room, unless you are selected that day, you're done. And also consider that quite a lot of their juries last only a matter of hours, or maybe a day or two at the most.

If you are selected for a jury, and that jury is going to take the whole week or longer, then yes, you will get an opportunity to bring this up with the judge in that case and potentially get excused. On top of all of this, there's no guarantee that you would actually get through voirdire and be seated on the jury.

coquetta

Well, the good news is that the call-in system frees you up for the most part for the entire week you are required to serve. You call in the night before to see if you have to appear the next day. That happens every night for the entire week. You may never even have to set foot in the courthouse.

Of course, if you have missed a prior jury duty assignment, they may actually require you to come in on day one. However, I happen to know that if you do that, then LA County does the one day/one jury and done. After one day of sitting in the jury selection room, unless you are selected that day, you're done. And also consider that quite a lot of their juries last only a matter of hours, or maybe a day or two at the most.

If you are selected for a jury, and that jury is going to take the whole week or longer, then yes, you will get an opportunity to bring this up with the judge in that case and potentially get excused. On top of all of this, there's no guarantee that you would actually get through voirdire and be seated on the jury.
hmmm, according to my summons even if I get called in on the last day, I'm "required to serve until excused by the court or the case is completed", so I'm guessing it doesn't really matter what day I get called in. the last time I had jury duty I got called in on the 3rd day & immediately got selected for a jury :-(.
well, thx anyway, we'll see what happens. this is a girl that actually CAN'T pay her bills if she doesn't work for a week. I guess all the other freeloaders who can just ruined it for me.

Isis1

hmmm, according to my summons even if I get called in on the last day, I'm "required to serve until excused by the court or the case is completed", so I'm guessing it doesn't really matter what day I get called in. the last time I had jury duty I got called in on the 3rd day & immediately got selected for a jury :-(.
well, thx anyway, we'll see what happens. this is a girl that actually CAN'T pay her bills if she doesn't work for a week. I guess all the other freeloaders who can just ruined it for me.
it's a civil duty. it's not about being a freeloader. yeah yeah, you have other things to do beside being an American, i get it.

:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've received one summons in my entire life. Spent 1/2 day at the court house and then was dismissed - service complete.

I was sad...

CourtClerk

i wonder if we can volunteer......
I'm asked this question on a daily basis. The answer is.... no.

However, I went 10 years without receiving a summons, then it seems like the minute I started getting promoted around this place, they've sent me 2 a year. And yes, us court employees, even jury supervisors have to serve.

Isis1

I'm asked this question on a daily basis. The answer is.... no.

However, I went 10 years without receiving a summons, then it seems like the minute I started getting promoted around this place, they've sent me 2 a year. And yes, us court employees, even jury supervisors have to serve.
bunch of party poopers! :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">