• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury Duty Financial Hardship Excuse Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

And yes, us court employees, even jury supervisors have to serve.
It seems unlikely that you'd make it through the selection process, since you know the judges and lawyers and are probably seen as having a pro-state bias (even if you don't).

CourtClerk

It seems unlikely that you'd make it through the selection process, since you know the judges and lawyers and are probably seen as having a pro-state bias (even if you don't).
Big misconception.

Every time I'm called to jury duty, i'm impaneled and sworn as a juror. 100% of the time. I've not been cut once. In fact, the last time I sat on a case, after I told the court what I did and where I worked, they never asked me another question. I sat through the whole voir dire process and watched everyone get grilled.

ecmst12

Huh, out here everyone I know with family in law enforcement or the court system gets tossed out every time they go in - not even PERSONAL connection, just because their dad is a cop etc.

CourtClerk

Huh, out here everyone I know with family in law enforcement or the court system gets tossed out every time they go in - not even PERSONAL connection, just because their dad is a cop etc.
There's probably some memo floating around about me. I voted to acquit a gang banger once because I told the DA that her witness (the victim and a cop) was a liar.

I'm sure I won points on that one.

ecmst12

Oh jeez....word gets around about stuff like that.

I was thinking the state was using it like an unofficial furlough for you, but I don't know if you get paid time off for jury duty :)

Hot Topic

What have your bosses said about jury duty? I'm in California, and all I had to do is send HR information about the dates of service and keep them informed as to how it was progressing. I did my civic duty, and the company paid me for the time I missed.

sandyclaus

What have your bosses said about jury duty? I'm in California, and all I had to do is send HR information about the dates of service and keep them informed as to how it was progressing. I did my civic duty, and the company paid me for the time I missed.
Unfortunately, not all companies pay for time off served on jury duty. In fact, there really aren't a lot that do anymore. Those that do will usually reserve that as a benefit of full-time long-term employees. It's extremely rare that I see this benefit offered to a part-time employee. (My son happens to be one of those, but he has also been at this job for almost 6 years now, and his boss keeps a LOT of part-time employees on the payroll even though few of them get regular hours at all.)

CourtClerk

Unfortunately, not all companies pay for time off served on jury duty. In fact, there really aren't a lot that do anymore.
I've got 2 LARGE BINDERS in 10 point type with employers that still pay for jury duty....

I'm not sure about there aren't a lot that do anymore.

There's probably some memo floating around about me. I voted to acquit a gang banger once because I told the DA that her witness (the victim and a cop) was a liar.

I'm sure I won points on that one.
Well, that's your job as a jurist, right?

I told a judge, whose case settled minutes before the trial started, that I would have let the guy go .. just because I thought the charge was too minor to be wasting my time. He was not happy .. I told him, too bad.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are about eight or ten states - mine is one of them - where the employer is required by state law to pay for time served on jury duty to some extent, at least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">