• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keep My Money!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jm4466

What is the name of your state?NV

I had to post a $20,000 Bond until my case was decided. It took almost 1 year. Along the way I paid almost $6,000 in attorney fees and now I have a balance of another $7000. My case never went to trial. I was told in my initial consultation that the entire case all the way through trial would probably cost $10,000.

I wrote my attorney a letter specifying that I wanted my check returned to me and then I would pay him. He refused by saying that I had a balance due and that he would cash the check and give me back the difference.

He then had the Court Order made out that way and the judge knowingly or unknowingly signed it. I never agreed to that. That was my $20,000 at risk, not the attorneys. Is this ethical? Any advice?

Thanks

PS If we had lost the case he would have had to take payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">