• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer excessive fees, broke contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lindseym07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
Hi all, I am 22 years old and very new to all of this, but my father passed away intestate and I had a probate lawyer to assist with filing petitions/probate, etc. Initially, the lawyer was hired by my aunt because my father had named her the executor of the estate. It turns out his "will" was invalid, so the lawyer started dealing with me (the administrator of the estate) although my aunt was the one to sign the contract, and I never explicitly became the client. The initial retainer was $3,000, and the contract states that "Attorney has assured client that the initial retainer will more than likely cover the entire attorney fees and costs of the probate of the estate, barring any unusual problems in the probate, such as a need to defend or pursue any lawsuit in connection with said probate." Fees were never discussed with me for the past two years that the estate has been settled, and no "unusual problems" came up as far as I know (the attorney just took unusually long to transfer house titles to my name, do the estate tax return, etc.) The contract also states that " attorney shall make an accounting to client from time to time, at least quarterly, to keep client advised and informed as to how much time attorney has spent on matters..." I was never told that fees were starting to accumulate past the $3,000 and never sent an accounting of the charges until the end of this process where I am being charged an additional $2,700. He charges $175 an hour, and for each phone call that just lasts a couple of minutes, he charges .25 of an hour. His accounting of time spent on certain items also seems very excessive.
Despite many of these smaller points of contention (for example, charging lawyers hourly fees for things such as photocopying/clerical duties and time he claims he spent "researching laws of wills" to know whether the estate was in fact intestate although he claims he already has expertise in that area) I believe my strongest point of argument was the breaching of the two points made in the contract that the lawyer would make at least a quarterly accounting of charges, and he never let me know that the retainer had been exceeded. I am also wondering if I am even legally obligated to pay him given that I never signed the contract. I have read that a routine probate case can cost around $1,500 and I think he is grossly mis-overestimating the amount he is charging. I have already e-mailed him my concerns in a very polite manner, and he has refused to compromise. I offered to pay half of the additional $2,700 that he is charging as a measure of good faith, although even that seems excessive to me. Unfortunately I am a college student and was not anticipating this bill, and it would put a large financial strain on me. Do I have to pay this given that I didn't sign the contract? If not, would an arbitrator/mediator be my best option? Sorry for the long explanation and thanks for any input!!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

... The initial retainer was $3,000, and the contract states that "Attorney has assured client that the initial retainer will more than likely cover the entire attorney fees and costs of the probate of the estate, barring any unusual problems in the probate, such as a need to defend or pursue any lawsuit in connection with said probate." ...
The portion of the contract you quoted and that I have quoted above is an odd one. I have never seen an attorney contract containing a "more than likely" clause like that.

Fees were never discussed with me for the past two years that the estate has been settled, and no "unusual problems" came up as far as I know (the attorney just took unusually long to transfer house titles to my name, do the estate tax return, etc.)
Your father also had a business and an application for a trademark for the business was in the process of being registered. Business transfers and the transfer of IP, while probably not considered "unusual problems," CAN take time and CAN get costly.

The contract also states that " attorney shall make an accounting to client from time to time, at least quarterly, to keep client advised and informed as to how much time attorney has spent on matters..." I was never told that fees were starting to accumulate past the $3,000 and never sent an accounting of the charges until the end of this process where I am being charged an additional $2,700.
The above quoted information is where you could have a legitimate complaint against the attorney.

He charges $175 an hour, and for each phone call that just lasts a couple of minutes, he charges .25 of an hour. His accounting of time spent on certain items also seems very excessive.
The charges could be reviewed to see if they are excessive for your state and the attorney's specialty. You will want to see an attorney-malpractice attorney for a personal review, if you are thinking of suing your current attorney, but filing a grievance with the Tennessee Bar could get the "excessive fee" dispute resolved without a suit.

Despite many of these smaller points of contention (for example, charging lawyers hourly fees for things such as photocopying/clerical duties and time he claims he spent "researching laws of wills" to know whether the estate was in fact intestate although he claims he already has expertise in that area) I believe my strongest point of argument was the breaching of the two points made in the contract that the lawyer would make at least a quarterly accounting of charges, and he never let me know that the retainer had been exceeded. I am also wondering if I am even legally obligated to pay him given that I never signed the contract. I have read that a routine probate case can cost around $1,500 and I think he is grossly mis-overestimating the amount he is charging. I have already e-mailed him my concerns in a very polite manner, and he has refused to compromise. I offered to pay half of the additional $2,700 that he is charging as a measure of good faith, although even that seems excessive to me. Unfortunately I am a college student and was not anticipating this bill, and it would put a large financial strain on me. Do I have to pay this given that I didn't sign the contract? If not, would an arbitrator/mediator be my best option? Sorry for the long explanation and thanks for any input!!
Here are some links for you to check out.

Tennessee Attorney Discipline:
http://www.tba.org/info/a-primer-on-the-discipline-of-attorneys-in-tennessee

Filing a complaint against a Tennessee attorney:
http://tbpr.org/Consumers/FilingAComplaint.aspx

Good luck.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The above quoted information is where you could have a legitimate complaint against the attorney.
I am curious as to how the OP got a copy of the contract or how the OP can complain about not receiving an accounting when he wasn't the client to begin with.

quincy

I am curious as to how the OP got a copy of the contract or how the OP can complain about not receiving an accounting when he wasn't the client to begin with.
I admit I sort of wondered where the aunt disappeared to and why the attorney thinks Lindsey is responsible for paying his fees.

But I am just not curious enough to want anything clarified. ;) :)

LdiJ

The same way that he is being dunned for the balance when he wasn't the one who signed the contract. If the guy bills .25 of an hour every time he has a phone call or reads an email that racks up some serious extra billable hours over time. If he can prove he sent the quarterly statements to auntie, then its auntie that he should be dunning for the bill.

I concur with the advice to contact the local bar association and open a billing dispute.

LdiJ

Your father also had a business and an application for a trademark for the business was in the process of being registered. Business transfers and the transfer of IP, while probably not considered "unusual problems," CAN take time and CAN get costly.
Where did you get this part?

Lindseym07

New

In regards to the trademark: as far as I know the probate attorney did not deal with this at all. I had personally dealt with this by talking to a USPTO attorney (or whatever they're called :eek:) and the probate attorney did not do a business sales and use tax return or anything regarding my father's business ventures .

& it was an unusual situation in that my aunt initially entered into the contract under the assumption that the will was a legal will and that she was the executor of the estate (in this process she took $125,000 out of his account because it was P.O.D. to her since she was supposed to be the executor, and upon finding out the will was invalid she decided not to disburse it as he wished since she couldn't be held to do what the "will" stated, so I don't care if he goes after her for the bill). I'm not sure why the attorney didn't have me sign the contract as the new client when I became the administrator of the estate, but since he is getting ready to close it he sent me a copy of the original contract, so that's how I got it.
Oh, and I mentioned in an e-mail to him that he never sent the quarterly statements, and he did not deny this so I am assuming he did not send them to my aunt, although her and I are not on speaking terms due to the aforementioned problems.

It looks like most of the charges are for phone calls from me since I didn't know I was being charged in excess of the retainer, but there are some miscellaneous as well such as talking with family members on the phone who were concerned about why the will was not valid (unbeknownst to me), a couple of hours spent researching wills and what makes them valid, transferring the deed of the house, ordering letters of administration and death certificates on a few occasions to send to me, etc. I called him about very trivial matters since I didn't know the retainer had been fully used. I would call to check in every once in awhile as well since this process took about 2 years, so it seems to add up fast. I'm not really wanting a lawsuit because of the fees, time, and stress so I will probably just pay up unless I'm not legally obligated since I didn't sign the contract.
Thanks so much for the advice though!! I am extremely grateful & I will contact my local bar association:)

latigo

How can you assert that you never became a client of the attorney, explicitly or implicitly, in face of these glaring discrepancies?

"I had a probate lawyer to assist with filing petitions/probate . . . (the same lawyer) initially hired by my aunt . . . (and the same lawyer) dealing with me "

Who the blazes was he "assisting" if not you the administer of the decedent's estate?!

Is it necessary to explain to you that you cannot hold the lawyer to the terms of an attorney/client fee agreement that you were not a party to?!

Lindseym07

How can you assert that you never became a client of the attorney, explicitly or implicitly, in face of these glaring discrepancies?

"I had a probate lawyer to assist with filing petitions/probate . . . (the same lawyer) initially hired by my aunt . . . (and the same lawyer) dealing with me "

Who the blazes was he "assisting" if not you the administer of the decedent's estate?!

Is it necessary to explain to you that you cannot hold the lawyer to the terms of an attorney/client fee agreement that you were not a party to?!
By "client" I meant that I had never signed a contract. I suppose, yes, I was implicitly the client since he was assisting me when I thought the $3,000 retainer was covering it, but he was the one that recently sent me the original contract and quoted the agreement even though I hadn't signed it. And, if I can't hold him to the terms of the contract, then how can he hold me to it if I never agreed to his charges? This is obviously not my area of expertise so sorry, but no, it is not clear to me that I do/do not have to pay since he is billing me and not my aunt.

quincy

In regards to the trademark: as far as I know the probate attorney did not deal with this at all. I had personally dealt with this by talking to a USPTO attorney (or whatever they're called :eek:) and the probate attorney did not do a business sales and use tax return or anything regarding my father's business ventures .

& it was an unusual situation in that my aunt initially entered into the contract under the assumption that the will was a legal will and that she was the executor of the estate (in this process she took $125,000 out of his account because it was P.O.D. to her since she was supposed to be the executor, and upon finding out the will was invalid she decided not to disburse it as he wished since she couldn't be held to do what the "will" stated, so I don't care if he goes after her for the bill). I'm not sure why the attorney didn't have me sign the contract as the new client when I became the administrator of the estate, but since he is getting ready to close it he sent me a copy of the original contract, so that's how I got it.
Oh, and I mentioned in an e-mail to him that he never sent the quarterly statements, and he did not deny this so I am assuming he did not send them to my aunt, although her and I are not on speaking terms due to the aforementioned problems.

It looks like most of the charges are for phone calls from me since I didn't know I was being charged in excess of the retainer, but there are some miscellaneous as well such as talking with family members on the phone who were concerned about why the will was not valid (unbeknownst to me), a couple of hours spent researching wills and what makes them valid, transferring the deed of the house, ordering letters of administration and death certificates on a few occasions to send to me, etc. I called him about very trivial matters since I didn't know the retainer had been fully used. I would call to check in every once in awhile as well since this process took about 2 years, so it seems to add up fast. I'm not really wanting a lawsuit because of the fees, time, and stress so I will probably just pay up unless I'm not legally obligated since I didn't sign the contract.
Thanks so much for the advice though!! I am extremely grateful & I will contact my local bar association:)
I think contacting your local bar association might not only be smart but it could be a necessary next step for you to take. What you are describing needs a personal review of all that has been done, and not done, since your father's death to settle his estate. In other words, this appears far too complicated for a forum to address in a way that will be of any benefit to you.

Before you sit down with the probate attorney, or with another attorney in your area, I recommend you search for all of the documents you have in your possession relating to your father's death, including a copy of the will that was found invalid (if you have this) and the contract entered into by your aunt with the attorney. I hope you kept good records of all contacts you have had - with the trademark examiner, with the probate attorney, with your aunt - and good records of all that has been done on behalf of your family by the attorney (such as the deed transfer).

This is a lot for a 22-year-old to handle. I hope you have other family around for support. I wish you good luck in getting all resolved in an expeditious fashion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">