• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

booyaka612

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Minnesota

=========

My and my girlfriend almost went through a custody battle, we were able to settle everything outside of court.

I had used a lawyer in the past and went to him, never signed any contracts or anything. This was done on a Friday, he wrote up a peice of paper that he was going to send to the other lawyer. On Monday I called and told him to cancel everything.

He emailed me back and said I would owe him 4,000 for this.. For doing nothing but writing a peice of paper.

I mailed him some post dated checks. He started to cash the post dated checks early, which brought my account to a negative balance..

I've already paid him 2000 for doing nothing, I was wondering what charges if any I would face if I cancel all the checks and tell him off. Everyone I speak with tells me I shouldnt have to pay him 4000, and 2000 is more then enough since we never went to court and we never met except for 30m on that friday.

Since i didnt sign any contacts with him, would it be safe to call my bank, cancel the checks and tell this lawyer I'm not paying?

any advice would be great.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">