• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikecc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I have a court appointed lawyer for my child support case. Can my lawyer charge me to petition the court for a modification to my order?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I have a court appointed lawyer for my child support case. Can my lawyer charge me to petition the court for a modification to my order?
Possibly. A court appointed attorney is not necessarily assigned to your case forever as a free attorney. If your state allows you to have a court appointed attorney for modifications, then you may be required to apply for one again and be assigned to whomever is next in line if you qualify again.

mikecc

Possibly. A court appointed attorney is not necessarily assigned to your case forever as a free attorney. If your state allows you to have a court appointed attorney for modifications, then you may be required to apply for one again and be assigned to whomever is next in line if you qualify again.
Thank you! I just assumed that the show cause for contempt went hand in hand with the modification.

I have fought for years and finally have custody of my children back. When the ongoing child support stopped they requested I pay the previous child support payment to arrears. My income has not changed, however I have the children in the home with me and use the income I do have to support them. I don't understand how my arrears is now more than my child support payment was. This is why I need a modification.

The way you've explained it makes sense.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you! I just assumed that the show cause for contempt went hand in hand with the modification.

I have fought for years and finally have custody of my children back. When the ongoing child support stopped they requested I pay the previous child support payment to arrears. My income has not changed, however I have the children in the home with me and use the income I do have to support them. I don't understand how my arrears is now more than my child support payment was. This is why I need a modification.

The way you've explained it makes sense.
A show cause is different from a contempt. If appointed for the contempt, that is all the attorney can do is the contempt. ANYTHING else is separate and apart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">