• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Fees Upto $50.000 Now For A Simple Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dg1962

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

This is for my share of the house, community debts, just a simple divorce case, that was dragged out for 2 years by both parties lawyers

I am on my 3rd set of lawyers

1st set, she charged me her fees for a majority of the work her assistant did, ie letters, preparation of docs, memos, faxes. assistants always put their initials on letters etc $12.000, she set the creditors onto me, when I refused to pay for duplicated work.
What do I do about her, is that not a federal offence?

2nd Set, When I went to them, I instructed them, that I wanted to go to trial, I had all the papers necessary. They said we could not do that, as there were certain docs still needed, they arranged for motions to compel, judge refused, as we actually had all the papers. They dragged it on for a year. ( by the way I had 3 lawyers in this company) lawyer 1) made arrangements with ex's lawyers for xmas visititation, forgot to let me know, caused no end of problems for me, the lawyer had the audacity to blame me for his stupidity.I fired him, the senior partner takes over, apologises. then 2 days before trial I am informed he is too sick and another lawyer will do the case. she is not prepared on the day, mumbles through the whole things, no defense at all for me. Had no idea about my case at all. yet I paid for her incompetance. Then they charge me $7000 for the work for attorney fees.
When this is all over, I find the document, that states notice to produce documents at time of trial, something they said could not be done, at my initial instruction. They used great time delaying tactics. They will not deal with any of my letters, as they have received all their money. I fired them, as my ex is taking me to court for custody ( he does not want to pay child support any more ), they did not let me know, sent the paperwork in the post, I was away for some time. before I knew.

Do I have any type of a case against them

The third one, hopefully is frightened of me, I have really had enough of lawyers.

stevek3

dg1962 said:

This is for my share of the house, community debts, just a simple divorce case, that was dragged out for 2 years by both parties lawyers

1st set, she charged me her fees for a majority of the work her assistant did, ie letters, preparation of docs, memos, faxes. assistants always put their initials on letters etc $12.000, she set the creditors onto me, when I refused to pay for duplicated work.

2nd Set, When I went to them, I instructed them, that I wanted to go to trial, I had all the papers necessary. They said we could not do that, as there were certain docs still needed, they arranged for motions to compel, judge refused, as we actually had all the papers. They dragged it on for a year. ( by the way I had 3 lawyers in this company) lawyer 1) made arrangements with ex's lawyers for xmas visititation, forgot to let me know, caused no end of problems for me, the lawyer had the audacity to blame me for his stupidity.I fired him, the senior partner takes over, apologises. then 2 days before trial I am informed he is too sick and another lawyer will do the case. she is not prepared on the day, mumbles through the whole things, no defense at all for me. Had no idea about my case at all. yet I paid for her incompetance. Then they charge me $7000 for the work for attorney fees.
When this is all over, I find the document, that states notice to produce documents at time of trial, something they said could not be done, at my initial instruction. They used great time delaying tactics. They will not deal with any of my letters, as they have received all their money. I fired them, as my ex is taking me to court for custody ( he does not want to pay child support any more ), they did not let me know, sent the paperwork in the post, I was away for some time. before I knew.

The third one, hopefully is frightened of me, I have really had enough of lawyers.
When a client says, "I am on my third set of lawyers," it's never because of the lawyers. Loved the part where you said you hope the third lawyer is frightened of you. Classic stuff.

dg1962

in response to STEVEK3

Then you obviously must be a lawyer, smart ass responses are not required.
I studied law in the UK, your law is different to ours and the lawyers who have represented me here are only out to gain financially, not to represent their clients. You must be one of them. as you are not professional. Typical of lawyers here, blame the client for their own incompetances. I asked for guidance, unless you have something professional to say, keep it to yourself.

S

seniorjudge

dg1962 said:

Your post is a classic reason for why any lawyer with any sense will not jump into the middle of a case after another lawyer has been fired.

I am copying your post to distribute at legal ethics seminars I attend to show lawyers how people like you can be dangerous to their practice.

Thank you.

stevek3

dg1962 said:
Then you obviously must be a lawyer, smart ass responses are not required.
I studied law in the UK, your law is different to ours and the lawyers who have represented me here are only out to gain financially, not to represent their clients. You must be one of them. as you are not professional. Typical of lawyers here, blame the client for their own incompetances. I asked for guidance, unless you have something professional to say, keep it to yourself.
If you "studied law in the UK," then it obviously wasn't dental law. Dental law was banned there sometime during the Stone Age, and it has continued to be illegal to this very day. Regardless, my point completely flew over your head. Either that, or you simply can't comprehend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">