• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer flew the coop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janedoe23

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I will make this as short as possible.

In July 04 I was hurt and hopitalized by a defective product. I did get a lawyer so that he can help me recover my medical bills. In Jan 04 I contacted him to see what was going on and he had great news to share with me. I found that odd because why wouldn't he have called me. He stated that the company wants to settle and as we speak I am sending the medical records along with a settlement proposal. He told me he would keep me posted. About 6 weeks go by and I called him again and he stated they did not respond to the settlement offer and that he is going to start the litigation process. I just recently tried to contact him and found his # is no longer valid and he does not return my emails. He was supposed to start litigation in Feb 05. Can someone tell me is this how the process works? I am starting to think this is a phony lawyer.

My dad had stated to me that the lawyer got paid and is now no where to be found. Could this actually happen?? If so what now??

Any advice I would appreciate.

stephenk

The lawyer already got paid? How much and for what?

So what that his number has changed. have you gone to his office to see if he is still there?

contact the indiana state bar and ask for the membership section. give the name and bar number of the attorney to the clerk to see if this guy is really an attorney. you can find out if the attorney has submitted a change of address form.

janedoe23

Let's say my Dad was being a smart @ss about the lawyer taking the settlement and running. My lawyer claimed the company wanted to settle but after 2 months of offering a proposal the company still did not respond. Last I heard from lawyer, he claimed he was going to start litigation.

The lawyer is also out of state so going in the office is out of the question. I emailed him a few more times with no response.

Is there any way I can find out if a lawsuit has even been filed against the company?

stephenk

contact the Bar Association for the state the attorney practices in and get his current address and phone number.

Forget email. Send him letters via certified mail return receipt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">