• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer had me lie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gloria Burton

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My friend has just settled on an auto accident from two years ago. She collected medical expenses and punitive damages.

While being treated, her lawyer told her not to tell her insurance carrier that her treatment was from an accident. She lied to them. He included and collected for the medical expenses paid by the insurer. He told my friend that it's "too bad, too sad" that this insurance carrier didn't file a lien against her accident and she doesn't have to pay their bill ($60,000+). She wants to do what's right and is going to ask him again!?

I believe, and told her, that, if she used their bill in arriving at a medical expense amount that was awarded to her, she must pay the insurance carrier or they will have a legal right to the money from her. I've been told that, if the insurer "found out" that she had settled for the amount they paid, she would owe them. She wants to know if they can ever come after her for payment.

Thanks for your help!

Gloria

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">