• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer lied about how much money I won in lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yiayia10902

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

If not for the internet and my need to find a legal document, I never would have discovered how a lawyer cheated me 30 years ago.

When I was 16 I was in a car accident and suffered head and neck injuries (which have cost me over a hundred thousand dollars to treat in the ensuing years). Due to my minor status, my father secured a lawyer to handle the case. Unfortunately, he never followed up with the lawyers to confirm that they were indeed working on a lawsuit against the person who hit the car I was riding in.

As the statute of limitations was nearing (2 years after I reached majority), I contacted the law firm myself to see what was going on since they had had the case for four years and I had heard nothing from them. I told them that I had been informed that I could sue their firm for prejudice if they did not file before the statute of limitations expired. They filed the next day.

About a month later, while I was convalescing from a different health issue, they called to say we had been offered a settlement of $3000 and they did not think we wold get much more if we went to court. I was not thinking clearly to begin with due to illness, and was also young and naive, and accepted the offer. They took their 40% and sent me a check for the balance.

Today, as I was searching the internet for some unrelated legal documentation, I came across the civil court record from this case. The law firm did NOT settle for $3000 as I was told, but instead for $30,000. They only gave me 10% minus their fee!

I did an internet search for the name of the firm and cannot find them. I am not even sure they are still practicing law at this point. I realize that a statute of limitations for filing against the law firm has long since expired, but do I have any recourse against these thieves? They are the kind of lawyers that give the rest of you a bad name!

swalsh411

Have you considered the possibility that the record which said $30,000 was wrong?

If they aren't in business anymore there is nothing you can do. If they are, you can file a complaint to the bar.

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

If not for the internet and my need to find a legal document, I never would have discovered how a lawyer cheated me 30 years ago.

When I was 16 I was in a car accident and suffered head and neck injuries (which have cost me over a hundred thousand dollars to treat in the ensuing years). Due to my minor status, my father secured a lawyer to handle the case. Unfortunately, he never followed up with the lawyers to confirm that they were indeed working on a lawsuit against the person who hit the car I was riding in.

As the statute of limitations was nearing (2 years after I reached majority), I contacted the law firm myself to see what was going on since they had had the case for four years and I had heard nothing from them. I told them that I had been informed that I could sue their firm for prejudice if they did not file before the statute of limitations expired. They filed the next day.

About a month later, while I was convalescing from a different health issue, they called to say we had been offered a settlement of $3000 and they did not think we wold get much more if we went to court. I was not thinking clearly to begin with due to illness, and was also young and naive, and accepted the offer. They took their 40% and sent me a check for the balance.

Today, as I was searching the internet for some unrelated legal documentation, I came across the civil court record from this case. The law firm did NOT settle for $3000 as I was told, but instead for $30,000. They only gave me 10% minus their fee!

I did an internet search for the name of the firm and cannot find them. I am not even sure they are still practicing law at this point. I realize that a statute of limitations for filing against the law firm has long since expired, but do I have any recourse against these thieves? They are the kind of lawyers that give the rest of you a bad name!
There are certain situations where the Statute of Limitations can be tolled (extended). Your situation may be one of them since you recently found out that the Attorney(s) in your case cheated you out of a huge sum of money! I believe this would also be a criminal matter as well. Consult with a lawyer ASAP to see if you have a case. It may be easier for a lawyer to trace the idiot who stole your settlement. It wouldn't hurt to report this to the local and/or state DA. Good luck and give us an update. ;)

yiayia10902

No, I had not considered that the wrong amount may have been entered into record. But I do believe that I will pursue the matter since that money would be useful, IF I can recover it, since I need another surgery related to the same incident. Now all I need is to find a good local lawyer to see if I have a case.

Thank you for your advice!!

ecmst12

How much were your medical bills? Any settlement money would have had to pay off your medical bills before you got anything in your pocket.

yiayia10902

How much were your medical bills? Any settlement money would have had to pay off your medical bills before you got anything in your pocket.
My father paid all of my medical bills before the original settlement. This lawyer took four years before they even filed suit, and then only after I threatened them with legal action. The hospital and doctors were not going to wait that long for their money and my father's credit would have been ruined if he had not paid them. I am not looking to recover any additional medical expenses. I just want the money that I should have received from the original settlement, which would be about $16,000 more than I originally received, plus 30 years of interest!!

yiayia10902

Sounds like that money was owed to your dad, actually.
Under normal circumstances, I would totally agree with you. The original lawsuit was in my name, and my father is more than happy to let me pursue this, if there is indeed anything I can pursue. He is already aware of the situation and has given me his blessing.

ecmst12

Wait, 30 years? I'm sorry, I thought this was recently. There is not going to be anything you can pursue after this much time and honestly, I doubt this is anything other than a typo in the record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">