• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer lost my file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ca

I have been car accident 3 yrs ago and I am still in court. My lawyer had my 600 page file in her car with her laptop in plain view. and ofcourse the car was broken into and laptop with file is gone. now she is trying to get me to settle for for a very small amount. I am at lost here because court date is in oct and not enought time to replace files. any thoughts.

thanks

stephenk

How much did your attorney tell you your case was worth before losing the file?

What court date is in October?

it really isn't that hard to replace the important stuff in the file. the medical records can be copied again, the opposing attorney may agree to give copies of documents that were produced, deposition transcripts can be reprinted, etc.

Last edited:
The lawyer would not give me a number for the recovery, but we were looking at a 100K initially, she was trying to get me to settle for 30K.
Also on the other had I was able to get all docs except for my original wage loss. which was over 13K ( Not replacable ) . She mentioned that the oposing counsel might object to using a copy which I have.
So any thoughts on the wage loss. and my time on chasing the papers again.

Thanks

seniorjudge

She mentioned that the oposing counsel might object to using a copy which I have.

Possibly so, and, after your lawyer explains the circumstances, the judge would soundly thrash the opposing counsel.

BTW, you said your lawyer lost the file and then you said that someone broke in her car and got it.

Which story is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">