• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer misconduct?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seanscott

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My friend is in a vicious custody battle with his ex. The ex claims she had spoken to a lawyer - there is only one in our small town - but didn't tell my friend who the attorney was that she had consulted.

My friend went to this lawyer and his first question was "has my ex been here to see you?" The attorney replied that she had not.

He hired the attorney and paid a retainer. The attorney started the work and THE DAY BEFORE THE COURT DATE he called my friend and said "I forgot. Your ex did come in for a consultation on this matter months ago and I cannot represent you. Sorry."

Needles to say, my friend got the shaft in court.

Now the attorney is demanding the remaining payments from my friend because "we did a lot of work for you"

Is my friend actually on the hook for these bills? Should he contact the Indiana bar association? Should he tell the attorney to stick it?

Thank you.

seniorjudge

Seanscott said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My friend is in a vicious custody battle with his ex. The ex claims she had spoken to a lawyer - there is only one in our small town - but didn't tell my friend who the attorney was that she had consulted.

My friend went to this lawyer and his first question was "has my ex been here to see you?" The attorney replied that she had not.

He hired the attorney and paid a retainer. The attorney started the work and THE DAY BEFORE THE COURT DATE he called my friend and said "I forgot. Your ex did come in for a consultation on this matter months ago and I cannot represent you. Sorry."

Needles to say, my friend got the shaft in court.

Now the attorney is demanding the remaining payments from my friend because "we did a lot of work for you"

Is my friend actually on the hook for these bills? Should he contact the Indiana bar association? Should he tell the attorney to stick it?

Thank you.

Q: Should he contact the Indiana bar association?

A: Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">