• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer mispelled defendants name, judgement issued against person who does not exit!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

When I moved out of the duplex I was renting 2 years ago, my landlord never gave me back my security deposit. The property was in better shape when I left it than it was when I moved in (painted the inside, cleaned, fixed holes in the wall, etc). But that's besides the point, because she never inspected the property after I moved out (I asked her) and after 30 days she had not mailed or even verbally said that she intended to make a claim on my security deposit, waiving her right to it in any way. She gave me the runaround for a few months before I hired an attorney to go after it in small claims court.

My attorney was extremely slow about everything he did, but finally we won in court because she never showed up for the hearing and a default judgment was issued in my favor(took my attorney almost a year to do this). This was over a year ago, and the lawyer has not done anything since. He stopped taking my calls and responded to my emails(sent one every week or two) every 4 months or so, saying that in order to collect we need to do this and that, and I said ok, let's do that... only to never hear anything back!

Finally, I got tired of being ignored and I decided to start trying to collect myself. I searched the court's records and found that my lawyer misspelled the defendant's last name, so basically I have a judgment against someone who does not exist! I put in several motions to the judge to change the spelling of the defendant's name, but the judge keeps denying the motions and refuses to give me a reason.

So, now I am left with a few questions:

-Is it possible to collect on this judgment with the misspelled name?

-Why would the judge deny my motions?

-If I cannot collect on this judgment, can I sue the attorney for his error? After all, I hired a "professional" to handle the case, and not only did he make a mistake that it seems will prevent me from collecting on the judgment, but he refuses to fix it and ignores me.

Dandy Don

Start a new suit with the correctly spelled name so you can then get a judgment to collect on. And file a complaint against this attorney with the state bar association.

Start a new suit with the correctly spelled name so you can then get a judgment to collect on. And file a complaint against this attorney with the state bar association.
i really don't want to have to shell out more money at this point if it can be avoided. i have already paid the attorney for his services, so how can i recoup the money i paid him for a job he failed to do correctly? and why can't i just put in a motion to change the spelling of the name?

Last edited:
You had a responsibility to review all the legal documents which you signed and agreed to, including reviewing the final judgment for errors.
i never had a chance to review the "final judgement"... never! the only legal document i signed with my attorney i believe was a retainer.

justalayman

then go to the court and get a copy and read it.

Do you know if the defendant was even served? Did they ever respond to the summons?

then go to the court and get a copy and read it.

Do you know if the defendant was even served? Did they ever respond to the summons?
i can view the default judgment online through the clerk of court records. that's how i found out the defendant's name was misspelled. it's spelled correctly at the bottom of the judgment where it shows the defendant and plaintiff, but in other spots it's misspelled, and it's in the clerk of court's records under the misspelled name. i have already read it, and know that it is filed in the courts records under the misspelled name, so what exactly should i be reading it and looking for?

and i have no idea if she was served, i will try to find out if she was by asking the court. and she never responded to the summons or any thing from my attorney or the court, not once.

Last edited:
i went to the courthouse and i asked them if she was "served" and they said that they don't do that after a judgment is issued, what they do is mail a copy of the judgment to the defendant, plaintiff, and they attorneys involved. they mailed her a copy of the judgment 7/2008.

justalayman

I was speaking about being served the original complaint and summons.

but anyway, why did you state you never had a chance to read the final judgment? You just said that is how you found out the name was spelled wrong.

Depending on the entire situation and especially since the name is spelled right in the judgment, this may be a valid judgment as it stands. The reason I asked if the defendant was properly served an responded was simply to try to discover it they would have a reasonable action to set aside the judgment due to invalid service.

I was speaking about being served the original complaint and summons.

but anyway, why did you state you never had a chance to read the final judgment? You just said that is how you found out the name was spelled wrong.

Depending on the entire situation and especially since the name is spelled right in the judgment, this may be a valid judgment as it stands. The reason I asked if the defendant was properly served an responded was simply to try to discover it they would have a reasonable action to set aside the judgment due to invalid service.
The way Ronin said it, it sounded like the judgment would have been submitted to me to go over and approve before becoming final in the records. I don't know a lot about this stuff, obviously. That's why I am on this forum asking questions.

So how can I find out if I can collect this judgment, even with the misspelled name?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File a motion with the court asking the court to correct the spelling of the name. If she was served properly with her name spelled properly then it is not a big deal.

File a motion with the court asking the court to correct the spelling of the name. If she was served properly with her name spelled properly then it is not a big deal.
like i said in the first post, i filed several motions and the judge is denying them because the judgment is about 1.5 years old now.

justalayman

So, was the defendant ever served? properly?

If you cannot answer that question, there is nothing anybody can do for you.

and the reason the judge will not simply change the name because if you cannot collect on the judgment now because the wrong person was served Or not served, you surely can't just change the name and have the judgment placed against a person that was never served.

Your received accurate advice in post # 2
dude, listen... if i do that, then i am out the money i already paid my lawyer, which is half of the cost of the judgment i have against the defendant. if i can collect on the current judgment, then i get all the money back that i have already shelled out plus the actual money she owed me in the first place.

how do i know if she was properly served? i wasn't there, so how do i know? i can't call my ******* lawyer because he won't return my calls or emails. i'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, i just don't know about this stuff. it's my first time ever having to deal with small claims court so i don't have a clue how this stuff works, which is why i hired a lawyer... who i will be filing a complain against with the florida bar.

Last edited:

justalayman

you go to the court and get the file for your case. In that file, there will be the means of service and the result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">