• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Misrepresenting My Interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Flotus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cali

Previous my estranged husband wanted to file joint tax return. My THEN attorney advised against it and said EH would have to indemnify me and split refunds 50/50.

7 months later my EH has a new atty and is trying to get me to file a joint return.

So, I hired an atty, showed the atty proof the deal fell through b/c he refused to indemnify me. Instead of leaving the matter off the table, and communicating my unchanged position, he goes behind my back and tells his atty I will file a joint tax return. Then said the indemnification clause would come in the separation/divorce decree. :confused: That would be after the fact therefore moot!!!!!

I am soooooooo freaking pissed. This is the 2nd time this atty has gone outside the scope of what's important to me.

I discharged the atty because he seems to be $$$ driven and misrepresenting my best interests.

This misconduct warrants a complaint.

Proserpina

Previous my estranged husband wanted to file joint tax return. My THEN attorney advised against it and said EH would have to indemnify me and split refunds 50/50.

7 months later my EH has a new atty and is trying to get me to file a joint return.

So, I hired an atty, showed the atty proof the deal fell through b/c he refused to indemnify me. Instead of leaving the matter off the table, and communicating my unchanged position, he goes behind my back and tells his atty I will file a joint tax return. Then said the indemnification clause would come in the separation/divorce decree. :confused: That would be after the fact therefore moot!!!!!

I am soooooooo freaking pissed. This is the 2nd time this atty has gone outside the scope of what's important to me.

I discharged the atty because he seems to be $$$ driven and misrepresenting my best interests.

So file a complaint.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Better question, did anything I typed resonate with you deep enough to offer advice absent of a question??? ;)
According to what you typed, I see four issues that could reasonably prompt questions and answers. Instead of making us pull teeth, please simply express what exactly it is you want to know.

Flotus

According to what you typed, I see four issues that could reasonably prompt questions and answers. Instead of making us pull teeth, please simply express what exactly it is you want to know.
I'm not as savvy as you nitpickers (smile) so could you help me ID the four issues and I would be glad to give more details and perhaps go deeper.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
There are a lot of people here asking for help, and nobody has time to help them all. The volunteers who are spending this beautiful Saturday afternoon trying to help who they can may prefer to help someone who won't call them a "nitpicker" when they politely ask for a simple clarification.

I, for one, will move on rather than play Twenty Questions trying to guess what you need.

If your question is "Should I spend any resulting tax refund on etiquette lessons" my answer is "Yes".

OHRoadwarrior

Better question, did anything I typed resonate with you deep enough to offer advice absent of a question??? ;)
Analyze the risk vs. gain of filing jointly, with that of filing solo. If it appears worth the risk, without a guarantee his records are accurate, file joint, if not file solo. Make the decision based on this, not all the clutter going on around it.

Flotus

There are a lot of people here asking for help, and nobody has time to help them all. The volunteers who are spending this beautiful Saturday afternoon trying to help who they can may prefer to help someone who won't call them a "nitpicker" when they politely ask for a simple clarification.

I, for one, will move on rather than play Twenty Questions trying to guess what you need.

If your question is "Should I spend any resulting tax refund on etiquette lessons" my answer is "Yes".
Sorry I touched a nerve but reading a lot of responses the "helpers" are often critical of the helpees. So if you feel offended, why waste time dignifying my perceived lack of etiquette. It goes both ways. The smiley face was inserted for a reason but I see it failed its purpose.

Flotus

Analyze the risk vs. gain of filing jointly, with that of filing solo. If it appears worth the risk, without a guarantee his records are accurate, file joint, if not file solo. Make the decision based on this, not all the clutter going on around it.
The risk far outweighs the gains as in previous joint return he failed to report savings interest income, no big deal, you think? Well, he earned over 100k, is only reporting 2000 in savings and has "suspicious" withdrawals and money is unaccounted for.

I have the assets, he is now in an apartment hiding money and got business dealings going on and I don't know to what extent he's involved, but I have to get the heck out of this marriage and fast before he brings me down and risks everything I've EARNED.

So the joint return would only serve its purpose if it was on the up-and-up for us both and given his history I would not sign knowing he has questionable money issues.

My question is what grounds for the complaint. I am thinking conflict of interest, subjecting me to risk knowing the facts/details about his business dealings, etc.

I think I'm on the right track it's just a matter of narrowing the focus and proving without a doubt.

Thanks for answering the question, or responding to the post.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

So, have you filed a complaint with the State Bar of California? No one on this forum will take action on your behalf.

We're all money driven, whether we want to admit it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">