• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer representing opposing people in case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nosonofmine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ontario Canada.
My son is in family litigation with his ex who has been causing jail time for him through numerous false allegations. He had CAS involved for sometime and we have reason to believe the CAS worker was a friend of this ex. The ex is a CYW at the school board in the same community and has regular interaction with the CAS workers there. My son told the CAS of some things he wanted investigated regarding the uncle his little boy was residing with and through conversation asked that this CAS worker contact his brother and wife as they had proof of some things going on. He told the CAS worker she might even know his brothers wife( this is a small community) . The brothers wife worked at a day care where the CAS worker's child attends. The CAS worker called the day care and told them our son had just threatened her child (which he did not do) and told them to fire the sister in law under privacy act as she had revealed where her child went to day care.
The sister in law has lost her job so went to a lawyer she had used several times in the past for real estate dealing and asked for help in getting a wrongful dismissal case started. She gave all the names involved including our son's name.
She has paid this lawyer $4000 dollars and today lost her case and is now facing a counter suite of $10,000 from the day care. She also discovered, during the course of getting this to court, that the lawyer was also handing the family court case for the ex. He clearly knew there was a conflict of interest and when the sister in law asked him if she should get her money back and go to another lawyer he told her no. There was no conflict of interest.

Today in court, the CAS worker had 6 othere women, (all whom we believe know each other well) stand before a judge and tell lies that our son had threatened not only the CAS worker but had called the day care todo the same. All he had ever called the day care for was to enquire if his son was still on a list to go there as per his family court lawyer's instructions. It had nothing what so ever to do with the CAS WORKER or his sister in law, but they have all come together on this and are not telling the truth.
We also found out that last week the ex and the Cas WORKER and one of these 6 women who appeared in court today, had been laughing and bragging about getting the sister in law fired and how stupid the son had been calling the CAS worker about his concerns.
We don't know what to do, there is conflict of interest with the CAS case last year, that has now been closed, and this lawyer should not have represented the sister in law at all knowing fully well that the son was some how involved.

What do we do???

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ontario Canada.
My son is in family litigation with his ex who has been causing jail time for him through numerous false allegations. He had CAS involved for sometime and we have reason to believe the CAS worker was a friend of this ex. The ex is a CYW at the school board in the same community and has regular interaction with the CAS workers there. My son told the CAS of some things he wanted investigated regarding the uncle his little boy was residing with and through conversation asked that this CAS worker contact his brother and wife as they had proof of some things going on. He told the CAS worker she might even know his brothers wife( this is a small community) . The brothers wife worked at a day care where the CAS worker's child attends. The CAS worker called the day care and told them our son had just threatened her child (which he did not do) and told them to fire the sister in law under privacy act as she had revealed where her child went to day care.
The sister in law has lost her job so went to a lawyer she had used several times in the past for real estate dealing and asked for help in getting a wrongful dismissal case started. She gave all the names involved including our son's name.
She has paid this lawyer $4000 dollars and today lost her case and is now facing a counter suite of $10,000 from the day care. She also discovered, during the course of getting this to court, that the lawyer was also handing the family court case for the ex. He clearly knew there was a conflict of interest and when the sister in law asked him if she should get her money back and go to another lawyer he told her no. There was no conflict of interest.

Today in court, the CAS worker had 6 othere women, (all whom we believe know each other well) stand before a judge and tell lies that our son had threatened not only the CAS worker but had called the day care todo the same. All he had ever called the day care for was to enquire if his son was still on a list to go there as per his family court lawyer's instructions. It had nothing what so ever to do with the CAS WORKER or his sister in law, but they have all come together on this and are not telling the truth.
We also found out that last week the ex and the Cas WORKER and one of these 6 women who appeared in court today, had been laughing and bragging about getting the sister in law fired and how stupid the son had been calling the CAS worker about his concerns.
We don't know what to do, there is conflict of interest with the CAS case last year, that has now been closed, and this lawyer should not have represented the sister in law at all knowing fully well that the son was some how involved.

What do we do???
I'm sorry, nosonofmine, but FreeAdvice handles US law questions and concerns only.

I can tell you, though, that as hard as this might be, you will need to step back a bit and let your son handle his legal matters on his own. You can support him and his choices, and you can help him pay for legal assistance, but there is little else you can do for him.

I recommend your son consult with an attorney in his area of Ontario for a review of the facts, if he feels that a conflict of interest affected his case.

Good luck.

nosonofmine

I am not involved with my son's case, he is handling it all on his own, I was only seeking conflict of interest advice as to whether this fell under that category. Just using the internet for any information as neither my son or his sister in law have access to it. I find it disturbing that you indicated I need to step back and let him handle his own affairs. He is not a child and I do not mean to say I am handling anything for him. Just as an outsider looking at all that is transpiring I was only seeking some information on conflict of interest terms and how far a lawyer can extend his relationship to his clients that are inter twined. He is gaining confidential information through another case he is handling that would obviously be a conflict of interest to his other case was all.

quincy

Hmmm. I know I can be a jerk at times :) but I really didn't think I was being especially jerky in this thread.

Oh well. In case nosonofmine decides to cross the border again, here is a link to the Canadian Bar Association's "Task Force on Conflicts of Interest:"

http://www.cba.org/cba/groups/conflicts/toolkit2.aspx

nosonofmine's son might find some of it helpful, although the son should sit down with a lawyer in his area to have facts assessed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">