• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer is trying to empty my pocket book and not doing her job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalilbit08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Please help!!!
my situation is that my soon to be ex and I went into my lawyers office on Jan 29, 2009 to review, revise and sign Marital Settlement Agreement and associated docs (that is how the bill reads). So to my knowledge once we signed that it was good to go and ready to be filed. i come to find out that the court records show that it was not filed until March 26, 2009 that is almost 2 months later. Then it was kicked Back due to errors on May 13, 2009. and was not re-filed over a month later on June 18, 2009. I was never made aware of any of this i had to find out on my own. initially i was told it takes 6-8 weeks after it is filed to get it back from the courts so i just let the system do what it was supposed to. it has been over 6 months since the final doc had been signed and i never received a phone call nor anyone from my attorneys office ever let me know that one it was filed 2 months later and 2 it got kicked back because of their mistake, but my lawyers office has had no problem billing me over 2,000.00 dollars just for January for preparing the doc and supposedly filing it. also on Nov 11, 2009 we had a child support case and everything had come to an agreement. the minute orders where written and my attorney just needed to draft up the order. well on my bill it shows that on Feb 27, 2009 my attorney charged me 200.00 because they prepared the findings and orders after hearing, SUPPOSEDLY. i went to the court house yesterday to get a copy of the support order and what do you know, i was not able to locate one. i spoke to the clerk and we looked in my file the minute orders for that hearing was in there but no support orders. so the clerk checked the computer to see if it was in the system some where and it was not. i look through the copies of what my attorney had mailed me and it was not there either. so now i am realizing that it was never done and i have been charged for it and this is a problem. i have called my lawyers office several times in the last 3 weeks i have received one phone call back it was a para legal i explained my situation and he had no answers said someone would get back to me no one has, oh ya and he charged me 45.00 dollars for that phone call. no one is returning my calls i have paid over 6000.00 to my attorney and i should of been divorced months ago. i don't understand, they are not listening to me and do not care. they have taking advantage of me and have basically stole from me because i have been paying for services that where either not done or got done 6 months later. :(:(:(:mad: SO HELP ME PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE MY ATTORNEY ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS, GETTING SOME MONEY BACK WOULD BE NICE AS WELL I DON'T FEEL THEY DESERVE MONEY FROM A SINGLE MOTHER OF 3 CHILDREN FOR SERVICES THEY DID NOT DO. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE, FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE.

Proserpina

I'm not being flippant when I say this, but there are a few folk here who are genuinely trying to help you and it's difficult to do so because your posts are contradictory.

(Example: In one post you ask whether you can adopt your step-daughter, yet in another it becomes clear that you're not divorced yet - and thus don't have a step-daughter).

Help us help you. We can't do that unless you give us all of the necessary details.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm not being flippant when I say this, but there are a few folk here who are genuinely trying to help you and it's difficult to do so because your posts are contradictory.

(Example: In one post you ask whether you can adopt your step-daughter, yet in another it becomes clear that you're not divorced yet - and thus don't have a step-daughter).

Help us help you. We can't do that unless you give us all of the necessary details.
And in this one he is a she or she is a he. A single mother here and stepfather in the other posts.

justalilbit08

Did not mean to confuse you

My fiancee' and I live together with her three children and I have 50/50 custody of my two. We have been living together for about a year and a half and have been going through the divorce/child custody process for about the same amount of time. We both have been using this web site looking for real, honest opinions.

Proserpina

My fiancee' and I live together with her three children and I have 50/50 custody of my two. We have been living together for about a year and a half and have been going through the divorce/child custody process for about the same amount of time. We both have been using this web site looking for real, honest opinions.
At least one of you is still married, correct? If that's the case, neither one of you is the other's fiance/e. We don't care whether you're all in love and happy and ready to be the next Brady Bunch family - that's awesome, knock yourselves out, be as happy as you possibly can be - what we do care about is getting the relevant information from you when you ask a question.

One of you inquired as to whether you could adopt your step-daughter. You failed to mention that you weren't actually married to her mother, so she isn't actually your stepdaughter at all. This is the kind of small-but-important detail you really need to include when you're asking a question, because these little things can completely alter the answer you might receive.

(In this example the answer goes from a tentative "yes, adopting her is possible - it might not be easy, but it is possible" to a swift "Nope. Nyet. Nein. Non. Not possible in these circumstances". See the difference?)

In closing, we can't even begin to help you if you cannot or will not be upfront and clear from the beginning. Make it easier on yourselves - get a second account for Mom, sort out your stories and remember to include those teeny little details that might be important. You know, like the bit about one of you not yet being divorced. It's kind of important.

(Despite what you may have read or heard, we're not psychic and the FA Crystal Ball is currently out of action. We think)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">