• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Withdrawing From Case Without Valid Reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ekay418

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My lawyer withdrew after I refused to accept the other parties out of court settlement of let's say $10 (hypothetical). When I hired my lawyer, I told him what I was willing to settle for ($20). However, once the other party offered $10, my lawyer highly recommended that I compromise and take the offer. When I refused, he withdrew. Is this legal?

I know my lawyer can withdraw for the valid reason of not agreeing with me on something; however, when we started, I made it known to him how much I wanted and how much I would settle for. As a note- the $10 will not even cover my damages + legal fees.

Furthermore, he put a lien on my case.

What can I do/should I do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My lawyer withdrew after I refused to accept the other parties out of court settlement of let's say $10 (hypothetical). When I hired my lawyer, I told him what I was willing to settle for ($20). However, once the other party offered $10, my lawyer highly recommended that I compromise and take the offer. When I refused, he withdrew. Is this legal?

I know my lawyer can withdraw for the valid reason of not agreeing with me on something; however, when we started, I made it known to him how much I wanted and how much I would settle for. As a note- the $10 will not even cover my damages + legal fees.

Furthermore, he put a lien on my case.

What can I do/should I do?
Your lawyer did nothing wrong quite frankly. It is legal for him to withdraw. Depending on the ACTUAL facts of the case, your attorney may believe that the $10 is all you would get and that your damages are NOT worth as much as you believe them to be worth.

You could try to get another attorney or you could settle. Be aware that your first attorney deserves to be paid.

you owe him $$ thats why he's withdrawing. He cannot withdraw just for turning down a settlement offer -- unless he feels the complaint cannot be proven (ie no case)

pay him his $$

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">