• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for an attorney to email every person in a company about a claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hector77

US State: "WA" Is it legal for an -edit- collector to mass email every employee in a company with threats to sue about money their client believe is owed on a severed business relationship? It doesn't appear to have reached litigation yet, and it really does not affect me directly. I'm just curious as it seemed odd to me.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is it legal for an attorney to mass email every employee in a company with threats to sue about money their client believe is owed on a severed business relationship? It doesn't appear to have reached litigation yet, and it really does not affect me directly. I'm just curious as it seemed odd to me.
Sorry - this forum is for US law only.

hector77

I am in the US and this is a legal question.

-edit-

Oh I see. Is it because of my name? If so that is typical naiveté not uncommon to the US do to a failing educational system and overexposure to television and the internet. Hector is of Greek origin and common among my ancestors the Scottish. Thanks granda.

So, anyone else with a response?

Last edited:

quincy

Is it legal for an attorney to mass email every employee in a company with threats to sue about money their client believe is owed on a severed business relationship? It doesn't appear to have reached litigation yet, and it really does not affect me directly. I'm just curious as it seemed odd to me.
What state in the US does this involve?

It is impossible to say, from the little you have posted, whether the attorney has violated any ethical or professional code, or violated any law, by mass emailing all employees in a company. It would be odd for an attorney to do that, unless the company is a very small one and all who were emailed are part of the legal action, or action being considered.

Care to elaborate?

Silverplum

-edit-

Oh I see. Is it because of my name? If so that is typical naiveté not uncommon to the US do to a failing educational system and overexposure to television and the internet. Hector is of Greek origin and common among my ancestors the Scottish. Thanks granda.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The automatic question asked for the name of your US STATE.

Zigner, not uneducated in the least, asked for the name of your US STATE.

Who's the "typical" person here? The one who cannot answer a simple question? The one who cannot grasp that the legal system spans STATES?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

hector77

What state in the US does this involve?

It is impossible to say, from the little you have posted, whether the attorney has violated any ethical or professional code, or violated any law, by mass emailing all employees in a company. It would be odd for an attorney to do that, unless the company is a very small one and all who were emailed are part of the legal action, or action being considered.

Care to elaborate?
Thank you for the response. The state is WA. There was development over the last hour I was unaware of being that the person sending the email is not an attorney. Just a collection agency.

hector77

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The automatic question asked for the name of your US STATE.

Zigner, not uneducated in the least, asked for the name of your US STATE.

Who's the "typical" person here? The one who cannot answer a simple question? The one who cannot grasp that the legal system spans STATES?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It was not the person who was typical but the response I appear to have mistakenly perceived as naive that was typical. You can imagine with a name like Hector people in the US frequently and automatically assume a Hispanic heritage. I did not decode the message "Sorry - this forum is for US law only" to mean "What is the name of your US State." Are you referring to the text that I typed over? If so my apologies for the origination of this confusion.

Silverplum

It was not the person who was typical but the response I appear to have mistakenly perceived as naive that was typical. You can imagine with a name like Hector people in the US frequently and automatically assume a Hispanic heritage. I did not decode the message "Sorry - this forum is for US law only" to mean "What is the name of your US State." Are you referring to the text that I typed over? If so my apologies for the origination of this confusion.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's not an apology.

quincy

Thank you for the response. The state is WA. There was development over the last hour I was unaware of being that the person sending the email is not an attorney. Just a collection agency.
So your question has nothing to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice. Okay.

A collection agency could be violating the FDCPA by sending mass emails regarding an individual's debt - but since this does not really involve you and you simply want your curiosity sated, you might want to ask someone at the company who is actually involved in the matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you so bigoted that the name "Hector" automatically implies that one is from a foreign country? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

At this point, your safest bet is a healthy dose of MYOB.

quincy

-edit-

It is apparently a failure of the educational system in the US to not teach homophones. ;)

Do, due and dew all sound the same but what you wanted in your sentence, Hector, was the word "due" not "do."

I rarely make assumptions about, or judge people by, the user names they choose - unless they happen to choose a vulgar or offensive name. That, I think, can say a lot about a person (and none of it good).

FlyingRon

To answer the question, if the company owes the money, then sending email to everybody in the company, while silly, probably isn't against the law.

LdiJ

To answer the question, if the company owes the money, then sending email to everybody in the company, while silly, probably isn't against the law.
I don't know if I agree. Most employees of a company are not privy to the finances or legal issues of the company...nor would they be expected to be. Therefore, I can see some potential issues there.

quincy

I am not so sure that is an answer to the question, FlyingRon.

Although admittedly there has not been enough disclosed to indicate legality one way or the other, I can see where a mass email sent to employees of a company about the company's purported debts can be defamatory.

As with everything, it depends on the facts and, since Hector is not even involved in the matter, he will not have the facts necessary to make any sort of determination on the legality of the emailing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">