• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal charges and billing questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brokenthird

questions regarding legal fees

In may of 2004 I was arrested on a drug charge of possession of meth. I hired a lawyer to represent me. He was retained for the amount of $3,600.This was a retainer fee. I was told that if the case went to trial that i would have additional costs. the case was posponed a number of times, resulting in my settling for a no-contest plea and no trial. After the fact my lawyer informed me in the court room that I needed to make an installment on an additional charge of $1,500(the results of the case taking so long. While representing me my lawyer ne3ver asked me about my case nor did I get an appointment to talk to him except an occasional 5 min. conversation by cell phone a total of 5 timesthroughout the year. I have asked for a bill listing what I was charged for and what time was spent on my case,and was told they do not send bills to their customers. Is this right? I made a payment of $250.00 Oon the $1,500 dollars and they want it payed in full.

S

seniorjudge

Q: I have asked for a bill listing what I was charged for and what time was spent on my case,and was told they do not send bills to their customers.

A: That is not right. You are absolutely entitled to know what he is charging for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">