• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Ethics & Lawyer Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beachtux

New Jersey.

I met with a lawyer in Jan. 2005. The company I was working for was sold. The day before the closing I received a letter from my company stating I resigned. I did not resign. I met with this attorney for a free consultation regarding my severance pkg., withhold earned salary and accrued vacation, termination of health and dental benefits with notice, copies of paycheck copies and letter of recommendation.
I had researched this on-line before meeting with him. Met with him no more than 1/2 hour. We gave him a check for $250 to hold until we decided if we were going to hire him on a per hour or on a contingency fee basis.

He was going to send out a demand letter on my part but I contacted him and asked that I see it before he sends the letter. The letter he was going to send out on my behalf could have been written better by a child in the second grade. If I had put my total trust in his ability as a lawyer and did not review that letter, I would have been completely humiliated.

I e-mailed him back stating I wasn't comfortable with the letter and that I wasn't comfortable with him representing me. When I requested he return my check he wrote, "the exchange of e-mail satisfies the requirement for a writing".

He never provided me with a written fee agreement and/or retainer agreement. I was going through a lot at the time and this just added to the mess. He wrote in one of his e-mails "there's not free lunch" like I was trying to get something for nothing. I found out later that he rented space from a big law firm so it would look like he was associated with that firm when in fact it was just him - in a rented office, no secretary, no large firm.
Can I sue him for the $250 in court?

Dandy Don

You can try just to see what the outcome will be, but it's a bit difficult for you to win your case. He provided the service that you asked for, although it wasn't acceptable quality.

You also need to file a complaint with your state bar association so that his poor service will be on file and perhaps prevent future clients from using his services.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">