• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdjohnny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

A few years ago I had a lawyer representing me in my divorce case. As part of the process, we had a mediation scheduled which was to last 3 hours. My attorney showed up over an hour late (not the first time late for court dates, meetings). The two lawyers went in with the mediator and came out with the status quo agreement at the end of the session. My lawyer explained to me that it was a typical settlement and it would be in effect until we sold our maritial home. We also had a clause in the agreement that our home would be assigned to a receiver if we didn't agree on price. I signed the agreement.

A month later I realized that the net effect of me paying the mortgage, other house bills, and a stipend for my ex wife equaled 90% of my take home pay which left me with only 10% to live on. further, my ex wife kept cancelling showings of the house and refused to lower the price. I tried to have the order changed but it was already signed by the judge and was told I was stuck. I asked my lawyer to appoint the receiver 3 times and she never did. At the end of the day, I was about 10k in debt because i had to live off of my credit cards.

I haven't paid the final law bill and now she is suing me. Do I have any grounds here for not paying?:mad:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

A few years ago I had a lawyer representing me in my divorce case. As part of the process, we had a mediation scheduled which was to last 3 hours. My attorney showed up over an hour late (not the first time late for court dates, meetings). The two lawyers went in with the mediator and came out with the status quo agreement at the end of the session. My lawyer explained to me that it was a typical settlement and it would be in effect until we sold our maritial home. We also had a clause in the agreement that our home would be assigned to a receiver if we didn't agree on price. I signed the agreement.

A month later I realized that the net effect of me paying the mortgage, other house bills, and a stipend for my ex wife equaled 90% of my take home pay which left me with only 10% to live on. further, my ex wife kept cancelling showings of the house and refused to lower the price. I tried to have the order changed but it was already signed by the judge and was told I was stuck. I asked my lawyer to appoint the receiver 3 times and she never did. At the end of the day, I was about 10k in debt because i had to live off of my credit cards.

I haven't paid the final law bill and now she is suing me. Do I have any grounds here for not paying?:mad:
No, you have no grounds.

You had the option of doing the math before you signed the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">