• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal -professional misconduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nurseroslyn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLA-hello- i need advice- I was involved in a personal injury case that has settled. The case took 5 years to settle out of court for 1.25million dollars. during the case i had to fire my first lawyer who had worked on the case for 3 years and 8 months- he caused me soo much stress and anxiety-and wanted me to dismiss my case right before the statue of limitation was to run out! he had filed suit in the clerk of the court 2 years prior to me dismissing him from my case, and had done almost all the work already. He did not want to put a lein up against my case to get paid for all the work he had done on my case(I have a letter stating this) The new lawyer- that was hired took 1 year and 6months to finish and settle my case- but he charged me 40% contingent fee(375,000) plus additional 54,000 dollars for out attorney fees. This lawyer got paid for the first lawyers work--since the first lawyer didnt want to charge me- for the 3 1/2 years worth of his work(causing me alot of stress,and anxiety)--- how can he charge me for work that he did not do??? he has over charged me with excessive fees-I feel that since i have a head injury from my accident- he has taken advantage of me- Can this be done??? i am still within the statue of limitations for the 2nd attorney that has charged me for work that he did not do

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLA-hello- i need advice- I was involved in a personal injury case that has settled. The case took 5 years to settle out of court for 1.25million dollars. during the case i had to fire my first lawyer who had worked on the case for 3 years and 8 months- he caused me soo much stress and anxiety-and wanted me to dismiss my case right before the statue of limitation was to run out! he had filed suit in the clerk of the court 2 years prior to me dismissing him from my case, and had done almost all the work already. He did not want to put a lein up against my case to get paid for all the work he had done on my case(I have a letter stating this) The new lawyer- that was hired took 1 year and 6months to finish and settle my case- but he charged me 40% contingent fee(375,000) plus additional 54,000 dollars for out attorney fees. This lawyer got paid for the first lawyers work--since the first lawyer didnt want to charge me- for the 3 1/2 years worth of his work(causing me alot of stress,and anxiety)--- how can he charge me for work that he did not do??? he has over charged me with excessive fees-I feel that since i have a head injury from my accident- he has taken advantage of me- Can this be done??? i am still within the statue of limitations for the 2nd attorney that has charged me for work that he did not do
You signed a retainer agreement most likely agreeing with the 40% contigency fee which is normal. The additional 54000 was most like costs incurred. He didn't overcharge you. How do you believe that he charged you for work he did not do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">