• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TTyMiller

What is the name of your state? Virginia
This is alot of information but I need to know if I would have a case.

My lawyer made a number of mistakes in family court. I was seeking a reduction in child support and more visitation. Basically here is what happened. He concluded that there was no Custody agreement in place and filed for custody and never filed for what I hired him to do. He stated he filed the Custody petition four weeks earlier than he actually did, he did not file the exact petition that I approved. He never filed a precipe to get a court date and instead told me that the court would assign me a date and it was too early to expect one, this after 2 months of waiting. I called the county clerk and learned that they do not assign date and he should have filed to obtain one. Meanwhile I learn that my ex is in the process of moving out of state and he still never gets a court date four months later and her lawyer gets one in a week for a relocation hearing. Thus making my original motion for a reduction and more visitation moot, which could have been obtained and would have been favorable to me in stopping the relocation of the children, turns the custody petition into a moot point as there was an agreement in place ( he asked me where did he get that from) all the while billing me left and right. He presented very little of the evidence I provided him. Did not want my roomate as a witness, asked the witness that was there basically nothing that I told him to. He did not do any discovery and estimated he would do 15 hours and demanded payment before the hearing. The grandfather claimed to have bought the ex a house out of state which was a lie but he asked for no proff in court. he did not get a witness list to prepare etc. ANyway I had to fire him and still nothing that he was hired for was resloved. His stating there was not a custody agreement and billing me for massive hour of doing nothing has cost me greatly; not to mention my children are gone and I actually have less visitation as they are out of state and I have to get my own reduction in child support. Even opposing counsel said he did not have a case and would be more than happy to be a witness for me if this guy wants to collect on his bill, which was paid in advance. Oh yeah one more thing he submitted his bill in court in the middle of going over my kids pictures and cards they had given me. This bill had a contradictory statement in relationship to a date questioned, the judge then because of the 4 day difference said I had no credibility and really jumped on him for submitting that bill into evidence is not what I discuss with him client attorney privilege and submiting that bill with specifics we discussed breaking that also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">