• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

malpractice in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user550

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

During my contentious divorce, we exchanged financials and conducted discovery. My exhusband took all of the financial information when he filed and I was foolish enough not to do anything to prepare for divorce. My lawyer and I had to subpoena just about everything to get any idea of what was going on financially. My ex only listed a pension with his current company and that was after we subpoenaed the company.

In the judgment I get 50% of the marital portion of his retirement and I filed QDROs for that; but I found out 18 months after the judgment that he has a pension with his first employer. I never considered this because this employer, which was a very large company, closed down and I didn't think he would have anything (he never spoke of it during the marriage). But a friend of a friend who worked for this company told me that they did have pensions and so I called the company which is handling the annuity and they told me that my ex has one there and to submit a QDRO. Now I have no idea how much it's worth (he worked there for about 15 years) so it may be not worth it to go after, I get it. Still, he made high 6 figures so it could be a lot of money. All I want is 50% of the marital portion. We were married for 23 years and I stayed at home to raise the kids and then got a job when they entered high school, although I have no retirement from it.

Two issues:

I filed to get a subpoena to find out how much the pension is worth. New lawyer who's working on the court-ordered QDROs tells me it's a long shot because I because I didn't do this during discovery, but we're trying.

If that fails: should not my first attorney have subpoenaed this first company to see if he had something? My lawyer knew of his employment and never even asked him, never even submitted interrogatories. Is that not malpractice? I know I should have known and I was stupid, but I did hire an attorney to guide me through this and to advise me of what I needed to do. Also, it was obvious that my ex and his lawyer were making us spend money to find anything financial so I think my attorney should not have accepted things as is - but still, are we to think everything is a lie?

I know that there's a 2 year window from the time I should have known about the damage (which would be 50% of the pension). How would a court determine that? It seems very subjective.

Any guidance/advice appreciated.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

During my contentious divorce, we exchanged financials and conducted discovery. My exhusband took all of the financial information when he filed and I was foolish enough not to do anything to prepare for divorce. My lawyer and I had to subpoena just about everything to get any idea of what was going on financially. My ex only listed a pension with his current company and that was after we subpoenaed the company.

In the judgment I get 50% of the marital portion of his retirement and I filed QDROs for that; but I found out 18 months after the judgment that he has a pension with his first employer. I never considered this because this employer, which was a very large company, closed down and I didn't think he would have anything (he never spoke of it during the marriage). But a friend of a friend who worked for this company told me that they did have pensions and so I called the company which is handling the annuity and they told me that my ex has one there and to submit a QDRO. Now I have no idea how much it's worth (he worked there for about 15 years) so it may be not worth it to go after, I get it. Still, he made high 6 figures so it could be a lot of money. All I want is 50% of the marital portion. We were married for 23 years and I stayed at home to raise the kids and then got a job when they entered high school, although I have no retirement from it.

Two issues:

I filed to get a subpoena to find out how much the pension is worth. New lawyer who's working on the court-ordered QDROs tells me it's a long shot because I because I didn't do this during discovery, but we're trying.

If that fails: should not my first attorney have subpoenaed this first company to see if he had something? My lawyer knew of his employment and never even asked him, never even submitted interrogatories. Is that not malpractice? I know I should have known and I was stupid, but I did hire an attorney to guide me through this and to advise me of what I needed to do. Also, it was obvious that my ex and his lawyer were making us spend money to find anything financial so I think my attorney should not have accepted things as is - but still, are we to think everything is a lie?

I know that there's a 2 year window from the time I should have known about the damage (which would be 50% of the pension). How would a court determine that? It seems very subjective.

Any guidance/advice appreciated.
Your first attorney did not fail to request documents during discovery. It appears your ex-husband failed to produce all of the documents requested. This falls on your ex-husband, in other words, and not on your first attorney. This is not attorney malpractice.

If you have a second attorney now, you should address all questions to this attorney. No one on this forum will second-guess his advice and direction.

Good luck.

user550

Yes, my husband didn't turn in everything. Did I fail to do Due Diligence? Because it seems like that is what the court cares about. He can not turn things in and hide things til the cows come home, but since we're advisories, he can do that, right?

quincy

Yes, my husband didn't turn in everything. Did I fail to do Due Diligence? Because it seems like that is what the court cares about. He can not turn things in and hide things til the cows come home, but since we're advisories, he can do that, right?
Your current attorney has apparently already personally reviewed this for you. I recommend you rely on the information your attorney provides. S/he has access to facts that we do not.

If it was found your ex-husband did not comply fully with the discovery requests, he could have been found in contempt.

Here is a link to Rule 26 of the Rules of Civil Procedure on the Duty to Disclose; General Provisions Governing Discovery: https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_26

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">