• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor shoplifted from work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davislp

What is the name of your state? Nevada.

WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT IN COURT?

I am seventeen and this is my first offense. I was working at Sears in the state of Nevada.

I stole two items for an iPod.
I allowed someone else to use my discount card.
When a friend returned an item, I gave them back more money than they should have received.

I'm not sure what is going to happen, but I'm guessing a fee and community service.

All together, the items and total amounted to about $85.00
The cop told me it is classified as a misdemeanor.

I have not yet gotten my court date.

It was a stupid mistake and I ruined a perfect job. I also understand that it will be difficult finding a new job until I am eighteen as shoplifting is still a serious crime, especially stealing from the place I was working.

cyjeff

You will probably get probation, a fine and community service from the court.

The store will send you a civil demand for several hundred dollars.

Any employer may be told by Sears as to why you were fired.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Nevada.

WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT IN COURT?

I am seventeen and this is my first offense. I was working at Sears in the state of Nevada.

I stole two items for an iPod.
I allowed someone else to use my discount card.
When a friend returned an item, I gave them back more money than they should have received.

I'm not sure what is going to happen, but I'm guessing a fee and community service.

All together, the items and total amounted to about $85.00
The cop told me it is classified as a misdemeanor.

I have not yet gotten my court date.

It was a stupid mistake and I ruined a perfect job. I also understand that it will be difficult finding a new job until I am eighteen as shoplifting is still a serious crime, especially stealing from the place I was working.

This would have been better posted in JUVENILE law which is the proper forum. You believe it will only be difficult until you turn 18? Ummm, wrong. While you may be able to petition to seal your record or expunge it, that will NOT happen immediately on your birthday. There are many other steps you will have to jump through. Until you have successfully completed ALL of those steps, you will have trouble getting a job. It can also cause problems for your college major and what college you are able to attend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">