• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Examples of Malpractice? Lawyer Threatens Client

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wilcats

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I hired an attorney to represent me in an unlawful detainer.

Among other things, he:

- Blocked my wish to change the judge
- Never alerted me that a decision (after a three month wait) in my case was made when he knew I was out of town (and ready to return at a moment's notice) - therefore I only found out I lost the case when I returned to find an eviction notice on my door for the following morning. When I asked him why he never called me he said he tried to call me once and my phone was out of service - which is a flat face lie that I can prove was a lie. And only one attempt? Plus, I never received any standard notification in the mail.
- He never provided receipts, a contract (case was over $1K), no fee agreement, no accounting of his hours worked.
- He now has threatened to take action against me for "unpaid" fees which is the first time I ever heard this and which is impossible because there never was a contract, fee agreement, and it's also telling that he still refuses to send me receipts. He said I must travel 80 miles (a year and 2 months later) to pick up the receipt - he will not send them in the mail. Only when I said I was considering action against him did he suddenly claim I owed him money - never received a bill or, again, any accounting of fees paid and hours worked - so it seems impossible that his fictious claim can be supported.
- He refused to return my case file for three months, or a copy of the judge's decision. Instead after a final insistence, he required me to meet him at night in a parking lot to return it to me
- He would ONLY accept cash for his payments - not even a cashier's check that I had made out. Instead I had to return it, cash it out and then he picked up the cash - again in a parking lot at night.
- He boggled a case I should have one - and would have with a different attorney.
- He continues to reply to my emails in my attempt to settle with him, yet he claims I have no case and he won't waste any more time replying to me - but he keeps doing it.

Also in the case, the judge, who he and the opposing lawyer, have known for 15 years, did not recuse himself even though he went to college with the plaintiff. And my attorney knew that and didn't take action - in fact blocked my action to change the judge.

And it goes on. Is this not malpractice? Can he really sue me for a claim (14 months later with no track record of sending me bills or an accounting of his hours and again, never supplied receipts, contract or a fee agreement that I signed - I didn't realize until much later this was required by him).

I told him I will file a complaint with the bar? Will the bar take these issues seriously? Is the bar truly independent?

Apparently he is OK with me going to the bar. I cannot imagine how he cannot be disciplined for the facts above (facts he says are not true) and his many failures. I absolutely lost my ability to appeal due to him not notifying me of the ruling or returning the case file. Plus, he told me at the time that I needed $20K to appeal which I later found out is simply not true. Isn't he responsible for me losing the case, not being able to appeal (since I lost two critical weeks and was removed from the property a day after I returned from being away for Christmas and knew that I would return immediately if I had to)?

Thanks
Wildcats

Mass_Shyster

- He boggled a case I should have one - and would have with a different attorney.
That is precisely what you will need to prove to prevail in a malpractice suit, which is a pretty tough thing to do.

The attorney may sue you for not paying the bill. All he needs to show is that he represented you and that you agreed to pay for that representation. As a defense (or counter-claim) you can argue that he committed malpractice.

You state that you would have won with a different attorney. You will need to bring that attorney to court to testify that s/he would have won your case. Your unsupported assertion will not suffice. I suspect that will cost you more than what you owe this guy, but that's your choice.

Good luck.

tranquility

Nothing seems like "malpractice" here. There may be an/some ethical breach. To me, three months to turn over the client file is too long without cause. Was the file requested in writing?

wilcats

Reply to Steve - Never Was Any Type of Contract

That is precisely what you will need to prove to prevail in a malpractice suit, which is a pretty tough thing to do.

The attorney may sue you for not paying the bill. All he needs to show is that he represented you and that you agreed to pay for that representation. As a defense (or counter-claim) you can argue that he committed malpractice.

You state that you would have won with a different attorney. You will need to bring that attorney to court to testify that s/he would have won your case. Your unsupported assertion will not suffice. I suspect that will cost you more than what you owe this guy, but that's your choice.

Good luck.
Thanks for your feedback.

But there was never a contract, a fee agreement or an accounting of hours against the fees ever provided to me or signed by me, which I didn't realize was odd (since I never hired a lawyer before) until after the fact.

Can a lawyer just manufacture that a client owes money (when there is no accounting ever provided the client; no contract, no receipts) 16 months after the fact and *only* when the client says he is considering taking legal action for malpractice - basically as a threat and intimidation - and possibly extortion?

Again, I have never been provided any contract, fee agreement or accounting of the hours worked and fees paid - and still refuses to provide receipts - never once, nor ever sent a statement that I owed money. In this scenario, any lawyer at any time can a year and half later claim the client owes him money without any evidence that money was owed, and when the attorney continued to provide consultation after the case ended and never said it would be more money - I thought it was part of the money left over from the advances I paid.

Seems highly unethical by any measure.

Plus he blocked my attempts to change the judge - after I had already filed the appropriate paperwork on time.

tranquility

The fee issue may be an ethical breach as well. Again, not malpractice.

Of more import is the fact you attempted to file papers while represented. It is likely they were not considered filed at all. Also, such things would make it far less likely the attorney could be successfully accused of malpractice. As to the motion, judges don't recuse themselves that often. Friends from college is unlikely to have one step down.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I hired an attorney to represent me in an unlawful detainer.

Among other things, he:

- Blocked my wish to change the judge
- Never alerted me that a decision (after a three month wait) in my case was made when he knew I was out of town (and ready to return at a moment's notice) - therefore I only found out I lost the case when I returned to find an eviction notice on my door for the following morning. When I asked him why he never called me he said he tried to call me once and my phone was out of service - which is a flat face lie that I can prove was a lie. And only one attempt? Plus, I never received any standard notification in the mail.
- He never provided receipts, a contract (case was over $1K), no fee agreement, no accounting of his hours worked.
- He now has threatened to take action against me for "unpaid" fees which is the first time I ever heard this and which is impossible because there never was a contract, fee agreement, and it's also telling that he still refuses to send me receipts. He said I must travel 80 miles (a year and 2 months later) to pick up the receipt - he will not send them in the mail. Only when I said I was considering action against him did he suddenly claim I owed him money - never received a bill or, again, any accounting of fees paid and hours worked - so it seems impossible that his fictious claim can be supported.
- He refused to return my case file for three months, or a copy of the judge's decision. Instead after a final insistence, he required me to meet him at night in a parking lot to return it to me
- He would ONLY accept cash for his payments - not even a cashier's check that I had made out. Instead I had to return it, cash it out and then he picked up the cash - again in a parking lot at night.
- He continues to reply to my emails in my attempt to settle with him, yet he claims I have no case and he won't waste any more time replying to me - but he keeps doing it.

Also in the case, the judge, who he and the opposing lawyer, have known for 15 years, did not recuse himself even though he went to college with the plaintiff. And my attorney knew that and didn't take action - in fact blocked my action to change the judge.

And it goes on. Is this not malpractice? Can he really sue me for a claim (14 months later with no track record of sending me bills or an accounting of his hours and again, never supplied receipts, contract or a fee agreement that I signed - I didn't realize until much later this was required by him).

I told him I will file a complaint with the bar? Will the bar take these issues seriously? Is the bar truly independent?

Apparently he is OK with me going to the bar. I cannot imagine how he cannot be disciplined for the facts above (facts he says are not true) and his many failures. I absolutely lost my ability to appeal due to him not notifying me of the ruling or returning the case file. Plus, he told me at the time that I needed $20K to appeal which I later found out is simply not true. Isn't he responsible for me losing the case, not being able to appeal (since I lost two critical weeks and was removed from the property a day after I returned from being away for Christmas and knew that I would return immediately if I had to)?

Thanks
Wildcats
The bolded doesn't matter. Even if they play golf together regularly, it doesn't matter. Judges have to go to law school and become attorneys before they can become a judge. It's called 'the Good Ol' Boy Network'. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for your feedback.

But there was never a contract, a fee agreement or an accounting of hours against the fees ever provided to me or signed by me, which I didn't realize was odd (since I never hired a lawyer before) until after the fact.

Can a lawyer just manufacture that a client owes money (when there is no accounting ever provided the client; no contract, no receipts) 16 months after the fact and *only* when the client says he is considering taking legal action for malpractice - basically as a threat and intimidation - and possibly extortion?

Again, I have never been provided any contract, fee agreement or accounting of the hours worked and fees paid - and still refuses to provide receipts - never once, nor ever sent a statement that I owed money. In this scenario, any lawyer at any time can a year and half later claim the client owes him money without any evidence that money was owed, and when the attorney continued to provide consultation after the case ended and never said it would be more money - I thought it was part of the money left over from the advances I paid.

Seems highly unethical by any measure.

Plus he blocked my attempts to change the judge - after I had already filed the appropriate paperwork on time.
You do not have a malpractice case based upon the bolded above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">