• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my attorney at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spider42

Whats the name of your state? MI This case took place in Kentucky.
:
I had a workerscomp case, my lawyer did not show up at the final settlement hearing .He handled it over speaker phone.The judge was there and the comp lawyer and I. The verbal agreement was for a lump sum settlement and bi-weekley checks.The comp lawyer agreed, The judge witnessed this decision, the papers were drawnup. The reason my case took a while to settle was because I would not agree on just bi-weekly payments, because I also wanted a lump sum plus bi-weekly pymts. When we were at the final hearing of my case with the judge and the workerscomp lawyer and myself present and my lawyer on speaker phone we reached an agreement for a lump sum and bi-weekly pymts.The judge read and signed the papers and handed them to me and I was instructed where to sign. I tried to read the papers before I signed them but the legal way it was written out I couldn't completely understand . I was under the impression that what was verbally decided while me attorney was on the speaker phone was what was in the papers so I signed them. They were then sent to my lawyer and he signed them and sent them to the comp lawer I guess my lawyer did not read them because the papers did not say anything about a lump sum settlement.
On the papers I have it also says that All Rights for Both Parites Remain Open Including Rights of Re-opening Reguarding KRS 342-730 Benifits and medical. Is there a chance I can re-open my case and try again for a lump sum settlement or is my attorney guilty of negligence for me not receiving
a lump sum as was agreed upon?

Thank You,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">