• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Lawyer Died...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnInnocentGuy

- California -

Somebody that I know is facing some alleged domestic violence charges. Once the charges were filed they hired a lawyer with a $3500 retainer to represent them all the way up to trial. Unfortunately, his lawyer died about a week ago. As a result, he had to fork over another $3500 to another lawyer to take the case. Since his first lawyer was contracted to represent him up until trial, but was not able to fulfill his end of the contract due to death, are there any steps for remediation or where does he start to be able to get compensated for his original $3500?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
- California -

Somebody that I know is facing some alleged domestic violence charges.
Someone like you?
Once the charges were filed they hired a lawyer with a $3500 retainer to represent them all the way up to trial. Unfortunately, his lawyer died about a week ago.
Yet your thread title states that YOUR lawyer died.

As a result, he had to fork over another $3500 to another lawyer to take the case. Since his first lawyer was contracted to represent him up until trial, but was not able to fulfill his end of the contract due to death, are there any steps for remediation or where does he start to be able to get compensated for his original $3500?
So how long ago did your attorney die and when is your trial?

AnInnocentGuy

No, it is not me actually. The title is merely only a title to catch your attention. I am finding this info for somebody else.

There is no trial date yet. There has not even been an arraignment. The point is that the retainer was for pretrial and now the lawyer is dead, but he already got paid. The lawyer was retained when the DA formally submitted the charges.

Please don't get all technical with me about the title of the thread. It is soooooo irrelevant that I cannot even believe that you brought it up.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, it is not me actually. The title is merely only a title to catch your attention. I am finding this info for somebody else.

There is no trial date yet. There has not even been an arraignment. The point is that the retainer was for pretrial and now the lawyer is dead, but he already got paid. The lawyer was retained when the DA formally submitted the charges.
Lying causes you to lose credibility and you have admitted to lying. It is not your lawyer. Hence you don't know all the information. If the money was not earned, it would be reimbursed but the lawyer's family has time to grieve.

AnInnocentGuy

Thanks for stating the obvious. Lying does affect credibility. But seeing as I am not the defendant in this case, what is your point? My credibility will not even come into play, not will my name even be mentioned in conjunction with this case. I really do not understand why you are hammering away at the name of the title. It is irrelevant. Maybe I was writing it in the third person limited. Did you ever think of that? So it is not a lie!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for stating the obvious. Lying does affect credibility. But seeing as I am not the defendant in this case, what is your point? My credibility will not even come into play, not will my name even be mentioned in conjunction with this case. I really do not understand why you are hammering away at the name of the title. It is irrelevant. Maybe I was writing it in the third person limited. Did you ever think of that? So it is not a lie!
Your lying comes into play here. Apparently it was NOT that obvious when you were posting that MY LAWYER DIED. That was lie. Hence you have NO CREDIBILITY. If you were writing in third person than you lied in your other post where you stated:
So basically you are a liar with no credibility. Congrats. Liar.

Hot Topic

Help for himself. Not a friend. What does it matter if he tries to make it look like he's helping someone else? If you lie about one thing, chances are good that you'll lie about something else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">