• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my Lawyer doing his job ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

King Henry VI

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was arrested and charged with assault 10/13/2010 after (6) months in jail I petitioned the court for nominal bail and was granted it with condition of house arrest . I have requested my public defender under no circumstances to ask for a continuance . Twice he has done so . About a month or so ago I received notice of a date certain on 6/6/12 . Now today at the "request of the commonwealth" the date was removed from schedule and rescheduled for 8/13/12 . My issue is this removal in my thoughts are just a way for the commonwealth to avoid a Rule 600 Pa.Crim.P ( trial within 365 days ) violation my public defender has been told by e-mail of this but refuses to respond to the question . I am coming up on a year and a half trapped in my house and running out of money . Any suggestions ?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I was arrested and charged with assault 10/13/2010 after (6) months in jail I petitioned the court for nominal bail and was granted it with condition of house arrest . I have requested my public defender under no circumstances to ask for a continuance . Twice he has done so . About a month or so ago I received notice of a date certain on 6/6/12 . Now today at the "request of the commonwealth" the date was removed from schedule and rescheduled for 8/13/12 . My issue is this removal in my thoughts are just a way for the commonwealth to avoid a Rule 600 Pa.Crim.P ( trial within 365 days ) violation my public defender has been told by e-mail of this but refuses to respond to the question . I am coming up on a year and a half trapped in my house and running out of money . Any suggestions ?
Him asking for a continuance TOLLED the time for speedy trial. That time does not count towards speedy time. Take that time out of consideration. So how much time has passed NOT due to your attorney's requests for continuance.

latigo

Charged in October 2010 and not schedule for trial until August 2012?

Hard to believe, but call the ACLU toll free at 877-744-2258.

That will reach the Greater Pittsburgh Chapter and they can give you the contact info for the Chapter in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">