• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my lawyer screwed me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csunk

What is the name of your state? CA

I was involved in an auto accident back in 1999. I went to see the chiropractor for a few months and we won a small case against the other driver's insurance company. they gave us a check for $7200, in which 1/3 went to pay the chiropractor, 1/3 went to the attorney, and the other 1/3 came to me. So I had thought the whole thing had been settled.

I come to now know that the chiropractor had never gotten their money and my account with them is now in collections and is on my credit report as a collection item. I have tried to contact the attorney and it turns out that the law office is now owned by someone else and that attorney is not there anymore. I have tried to find this attorney and I have found where he is practicing (I think) but I don't have his contact info.

What can I do in this kind of situation? I am furious that there is a negative item on my credit report now when this should have been resolved 5 years ago.

Thanks.

IRISH GIRL

csunk said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I was involved in an auto accident back in 1999. I went to see the chiropractor for a few months and we won a small case against the other driver's insurance company. they gave us a check for $7200, in which 1/3 went to pay the chiropractor, 1/3 went to the attorney, and the other 1/3 came to me. So I had thought the whole thing had been settled.

I come to now know that the chiropractor had never gotten their money and my account with them is now in collections and is on my credit report as a collection item. I have tried to contact the attorney and it turns out that the law office is now owned by someone else and that attorney is not there anymore. I have tried to find this attorney and I have found where he is practicing (I think) but I don't have his contact info.

What can I do in this kind of situation? I am furious that there is a negative item on my credit report now when this should have been resolved 5 years ago.

Thanks.
Contact the Bar Council or Bar Association in your State, from what i understand they have funds for things like that, If an Attorney gets money for you in a settlement and for some odd reason thinks he can keep it, there is a fund for that, yet we hired an attorney and paid him $ 8,401.00 and he took our money and obsconded, and there is no FUND for that! :confused: I don't understand the differance in that, anyway contact the Board in your State, I hope you have some type of proof/paperwork showing the settlement amounts and who should have gotten what amounts, they will want to see all that.

by the way, the Bar Association/Bar Council WILL have contact information for that Attorney at all times, as they need it to keep his license intact, they will know where he is located even when you do not.Trust That

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">