• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my lawyer is taking my money but may not represent me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueprint

i hired a lawyer a month and a half before my court date. my court date is in a week and ive only been able to pay him half ($500) because of short notice. he continues to take the money i have giving him but seems to be reluctant for showing up in court. he hasnt even officially represented me yet because i havent paid in full . I definitely will pay him in full just a little shortly after I thought I could. If he doesnt show up in court, how can i get my money back.

Silverplum

i hired a lawyer a month and a half before my court date. my court date is in a week and ive only been able to pay him half ($500) because of short notice. he continues to take the money i have giving him but seems to be reluctant for showing up in court. he hasnt even officially represented me yet because i havent paid in full . I definitely will pay him in full just a little shortly after I thought I could. If he doesnt show up in court, how can i get my money back.
Name of your US state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And old saying comes to mind...

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Why should the attorney go to court for you if you haven't paid him?

Silverplum

It does you no good to sit around on your thread as you are doing, and not answer the basic auto-question: What is the name of your US State?

blueprint

georgia

we agreed on 275 every two weeks which i thought i could pay but knew would be tight. since im only working minimum wage right now its hard to foot that after bills and other life expenses. my thing is since i was late the first payment and told him i was struggling to pay why didnt he just tell me he not representing me before taking my money.

Silverplum

Easy enough: http://www.gabar.org/forthepublic/fileacomplaint.cfm

Of course, you'd need a valid complaint.

blueprint said:
we agreed on 275 every two weeks which i thought i could pay but knew would be tight. since im only working minimum wage right now its hard to foot that after bills and other life expenses. my thing is since i was late the first payment and told him i was struggling to pay why didnt he just tell me he not representing me before taking my money.
I can't tell you why.

Perhaps he believed you when you said you'd be paid up by the court date.

swalsh411

You don't work for free? Why should he? You need to come up with the agreed upon amount by the Court Date. Can you sell something? Guns and jewelry are easy to pawn.

jasonmaria

I think change the lawyer... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">