• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help with no paperwork from lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pares09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
my father gave 21K retainer to his lawyer. they went to court once which was sentencing. he got sentenced to lets say 2-5 yrs and 1-3 yrs or something to the sorts. he's been in prison for almost 8 months now and we still haven't received anything from his lawyer. We dont know if there's any money left or what he spent it on for that matter. we dont know how long he's going to be in prison. we drove 5 hrs yesterday to see him and he's stressed because he doesnt even know how long he will be in there. he sent a letter asking to send all info to my mother and we have nothing. what can we do?

KJHOOK13

Your father needs to request a detailed accounting of the attorney fees so far, and balance left of the $21K retainer. Also, did the lawyer provide a retainer agreement? Was this agreement to provide specific duties for a specific purpose, or was it to be based on hourly fees? I don't get why your father retained an attorney right before sentencing? Was the lawyer hired to appeal the case?

pares09

this is a lawyer that he has always used for everything. im not really sure what he recieved before the sentencing. my mother has all that paperwork and i will go look into what she has. But as i said he received nothing after sentencing and doesnt even know how long out of the possible 8+ years he could serve if getting the max sentence. there was also another case almost similar right down the street and the guy only got half the sentence from the same judge. the circumstances are a little different. im not really sure my fathers lawyer did much to keep him from getting so long in prison.

KJHOOK13

Ok - that's a different topic. We know life isn't fair. The initial question is that you are trying to find out about the large retainer your father paid to this lawyer, so if your mom and dad are still married, she can contact the lawyer and request the billing detail and what funds are left. If your father feels he is not getting proper representation, then he needs to locate another atty that specializes in criminal law. The lawyer is required to provide detailed billing and hourly rate if requested, and in fact, should have provided hourly rate and services to be rendered when he received the retainer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">