• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Fee Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shoreguy99

I hired an attorney to represent me against a firm that was trying to collect on a debt that had already been paid. My brother attended the $250 consultation call along with me. We paid him an additional $3000 to hire him once he committed to both being capable and prepared to help me. My brother paid the fee at that time as I was unable to. (I will forego a detailed explanation of the poor service I received which included forgetting the premise of my case to failure to follow through on committments for communication.) On the last day of our 30 day relationship he said he would send me an itemization of the fees and additional charges, "if any". I shrugged it off as sarcasm.

About a week later, his firm sent a bill for an additional $1900. I called their AR manager and he referred me to my fee agreement. "What fee agreement?", I asked. He claimed I signed one. I agreed to pay if he could show me such an agreement.Later, he emailed me to say they had emailed me an agreement to sign (3 days B4 the 30 day case was over!). He said it doesn't matter that I did not sign it or send it back. They then offered to drop the bill in half. I assured him I never saw, discussed or reviewed anything about fees other than the $3000. He says he emailed one to my brother to forward to me also. My brother has no memory of this. They are threatening to sue us both now.

I know they CAN sue us, does anyone know what their liklihood of winning is? I find this to be preposterous!

HomeGuru

I hired an attorney to represent me against a firm that was trying to collect on a debt that had already been paid. My brother attended the $250 consultation call along with me. We paid him an additional $3000 to hire him once he committed to both being capable and prepared to help me. My brother paid the fee at that time as I was unable to. (I will forego a detailed explanation of the poor service I received which included forgetting the premise of my case to failure to follow through on committments for communication.) On the last day of our 30 day relationship he said he would send me an itemization of the fees and additional charges, "if any". I shrugged it off as sarcasm.

About a week later, his firm sent a bill for an additional $1900. I called their AR manager and he referred me to my fee agreement. "What fee agreement?", I asked. He claimed I signed one. I agreed to pay if he could show me such an agreement.Later, he emailed me to say they had emailed me an agreement to sign (3 days B4 the 30 day case was over!). He said it doesn't matter that I did not sign it or send it back. They then offered to drop the bill in half. I assured him I never saw, discussed or reviewed anything about fees other than the $3000. He says he emailed one to my brother to forward to me also. My brother has no memory of this. They are threatening to sue us both now.

I know they CAN sue us, does anyone know what their liklihood of winning is? I find this to be preposterous!
**A: did you get an itemized invoice for the $3K and the $1900?

Shoreguy99

The only document I ever signed was a credit card authorization form for the $3000 fee up front. I received an invoice only several days after our relationship and the case was concluded. That was 30 days after the initial consultation. There was no mention of a fee agreement at the consultation, or any discussion of additional fees throughout. They say they emailed a fee agreement to me 3 days before the conclusion of the case and our relationship. I never saw it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">