• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkahlona

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Is there a law or legal precedence that requires me to read my mail? I received an envelope containing a legal notice in my mailbox. The letter required a signature but the mail person did not leave the card for me to go to the post office to sign for it. Instead he/she placed the envelope in my mailbox.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Is there a law or legal precedence that requires me to read my mail? I received an envelope containing a legal notice in my mailbox. The letter required a signature but the mail person did not leave the card for me to go to the post office to sign for it. Instead he/she placed the envelope in my mailbox.
Seriously? Why would you ignore the legal notice?

FlyingRon

Depending on what the legal notice is, you may or may not have been considered served just by them mailing it. Some cases certification or return receipts aren't required.

Further even in the case where they are, you HAVE been served, the other party may be lacking some proof, but you'd be a fool to perjure yourself and say you didn't receive it.

Proseguru

A court would likely see this a service by certified mail ... the opposing party will get notification (the green postcard) back that it was properly delivered.

A law saying you have to read your mail? No. But that does not elevate you from anything. You can toss all your mail in the garbage w/o reading.

You Are Guilty

To add to that - while you are under no obligation to read your mail, if you decide to play games and contest that you were properly served (solely on the basis that you didn't open or read a letter that was delivered to you), you can, in certain courts, be forced to pay the other side's legal fees in proving that you were served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">