• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opponent Attorney not cooperating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninjalearner

Georgia

I have a court ordered payment obligation to my ex's attorney that i am fulfilling by sending monthly checks to the recepient. I am now out of the country i am unable to send in checks anymore. I have been sending emails to recepient to send her account details so i can do wire transfer but recepient doesnt respond to my mails. Now i am 2 months past due and keep sending the emails but recepient never responds.

I am sure email i am using is correct email address because we have communicated via email before. What are my options as i will still be out of the country for another 3 months and i dont want to be penalised by a judge.

I think my ex's attorney is trying to find ways to put me in trouble since they couldnt get much from me during the divorce.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Georgia

I have a court ordered payment obligation to my ex's attorney that i am fulfilling by sending monthly checks to the recepient. I am now out of the country i am unable to send in checks anymore. I have been sending emails to recepient to send her account details so i can do wire transfer but recepient doesnt respond to my mails. Now i am 2 months past due and keep sending the emails but recepient never responds.

I am sure email i am using is correct email address because we have communicated via email before. What are my options as i will still be out of the country for another 3 months and i dont want to be penalised by a judge.

I think my ex's attorney is trying to find ways to put me in trouble since they couldnt get much from me during the divorce.
I wouldn't respond to any body's email asking for my account details, either. Sounds like a phish to me. :cool:

sandyclaus

Georgia

Just because you're out of the country does not prevent you from sending in checks. It may be a little more tricky and will take longer to get there, but it can be done.

Get money orders or bank checks, and send the payment via international mail.

swalsh411

Or ask somebody to send them in for you. Surely you have somebody taking care of your bills while you are gone?

LdiJ

Just because you're out of the country does not prevent you from sending in checks. It may be a little more tricky and will take longer to get there, but it can be done.

Get money orders or bank checks, and send the payment via international mail.
Heck I don't send checks to anyone anymore. I pay all my bills through my bank's online bill paying system. I have a friend who is spending the summer in China and I am taking care of a few things for him, but he is handling most of his bills via HIS bank's online bill paying system.

ninjalearner

Or ask somebody to send them in for you. Surely you have somebody taking care of your bills while you are gone?
All my bills are taken out electronically. I actually did not travel out of the country with my us check book. I think my legal question here is " Can i be held liable for a breach if i am willing to make payment but the receiving party refuses to supply account information for payment"?.

LdiJ

All my bills are taken out electronically. I actually did not travel out of the country with my us check book. I think my legal question here is " Can i be held liable for a breach if i am willing to make payment but the receiving party refuses to supply account information for payment"?.
Yes, because there are many other ways you could arrange for payment to be made. Some of which have been suggested here. I don't know of any banks who do not have an online bill paying system. All you would have to do is set the attorney up on that.

You Are Guilty

It is certainly possible. Exactly how is the court order worded with respect to payment?

swalsh411

Gleesh. Stop making problems for yourself.

Set up whomever you owe the payment to as a payee in your bank's bill pay.

You cannot force this attorney to give you his account number. And you are still responsible for paying on time some other method.

ninjalearner

Gleesh. Stop making problems for yourself.

Set up whomever you owe the payment to as a payee in your bank's bill pay.

You cannot force this attorney to give you his account number. And you are still responsible for paying on time some other method.
court Order is worded as " payment should be received in attorneys office at the address herein and is due on the 1st of the month'" I called my bank for electronic bill pay to be set up but they require recipients accounts where to deposit the money which the attorney is not releasing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
court Order is worded as " payment should be received in attorneys office at the address herein and is due on the 1st of the month'" I called my bank for electronic bill pay to be set up but they require recipients accounts where to deposit the money which the attorney is not releasing.
No, you called them about transferring money in. Bank bill-pay services can be set up to mail a physical check. THAT is what you want.

Also, the court order doesn't require that the other party accept electronic transfers.

swalsh411

Just make the case number the account number.

The attorney does not have to give you his account number.

It doesn't matter how many times you ask; the answer won't change.

swalsh411

The bank is looking for the banking account number (ie: checking/savings account). OP tried to set up an ACH payment.
Not an option apparently. A bank account number is not needed to set up an online bill pay payee, at least not in any system I've ever seen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">