• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Perjury was committed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisDoc9270

What is the name of your state?New York
I am in family court for a relocating issue. The respondent had 3 witnesses lie on the stand and were made out as liars. What can be done? Isn't illegal to commit perjury? Why swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help you god? It's illegal. The judge allowed this circus to continue. Isnt there a way to lodge a complaint to the authorities?

Last edited:

almost

ditto

I'm in TN with a child custody case in court. I have seen the same thing here. The witness proven to be lieing on the stand and in legal pleadings, motions, etc. But nothing has been done about it. I wish I had the answer.
It also seems that if the lies aren't brought to light on paper, and in your file the next time the judge looks there, that judge might take the original accusations to be fact. This seems to be happening in my case.

Anyway, I can't answer the question, except that your attorney probably has to file something on the person who lied in court. I think it's actually filed as a contempt charge. Good luck. I'll be interested in seeing the responses you get.

M

Mr. Naive

i'm also in NY and going through a civil action, pro se, and i have deposition testimony and document evidence of what i think is perjury (false statements on net worth and response to interrogatories and false statement in support of a claim against the equitable distribution), but i also need to be sure of what constitutes perjury under the various NY laws, how to insure that the deposed testimony becomes part of the record, and what if any motions need to be filed or presented and in what manner as to request the court take action..

.. so i'll also be following this thread as it may be of some help.

Mr. Naive

seniorjudge

Q: What can be done?

A: Report the perjury to the prosecutor.

Q: Isn't illegal to commit perjury?

A: Yes.

(Be prepared to be laughed out of the courthouse...perjury is committed millions of times a day in this country and it is rarely, if ever, prosecuted.)

M

Mr. Naive

(Be prepared to be laughed out of the courthouse...perjury is committed millions of times a day in this country and it is rarely, if ever, prosecuted.)
don't listen to that stuff Chris.. i don't know what the law is in the parish of St. Odo of Cluny, but in the State of NY, perjury is a punishable offense..

but you must be familiar with the concise definition, and how to effectively impeach a witnesses testimony.. and, you may have to also show intention to commit perjury as well.. all these things i'm researching now.

go here--> http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi

also, google perjury + NY and also search for decisions handed down that relate.

good luck

Mr. Naive

fairisfair

don't listen to that stuff Chris.. i don't know what the law is in the parish of St. Odo of Cluny, but in the State of NY, perjury is a punishable offense..

but you must be familiar with the concise definition, and how to effectively impeach a witnesses testimony.. and, you may have to also show intention to commit perjury as well.. all these things i'm researching now.

go here--> http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi

also, google perjury + NY and also search for decisions handed down that relate.

good luck

Mr. Naive
Perhaps you failed to notice the moniker of the previous poster, or perhaps you think the words "senior JUDGE" don't mean anything. If you think that family court cases regulary have perjury convictions, then you are quite simply, insane. Almost everybody lies in family court, one way or another, it is expected although not condoned, it is the responsibility of the judge to determine fact from fiction and to rule accordingly.

M

Mr. Naive

yeah.. and i'm the King Of Persia... especially if my moniker says so.. right..

i thought we were talking about the law here.. and not personalities..

my opinion is that he is wrong..

and if he is in fact a judge anywhere, was a judge anywhere, or had imaginations of being a judge anywhere, he does the judiciary of where ever he sits a great disservice by giving the impression that any court of law would condone or overlook clearly demonstrated instances of perjury.

now, you don't have to take my word for it.. would ya like some references to appellate reversals or supreme court decisions that also prove that this is not the case.

or maybe a small excerpt from NY domestic relations law, article 3 might be enough to convince you that whatever they do in the land of odo, or whereever senior judge comes from, may not be the norm..

§ 16. False statements and affidavits. Any person who shall in any
affidavit or statement required or provided for in this article wilfully
and falsely swear in regard to any material fact as to the competency of
any person for whose marriage the license in question or concerning the
procuring or issuing of which such affidavit or statement may be made
shall be deemed guilty of perjury and on conviction thereof shall be
punished as provided by the statutes of this state.
Mr. Naive

Last edited:

fairisfair

yeah.. and i'm the King Of Persia... especially if my moniker says so.. right..

i thought we were talking about the law here.. and not personalities..

my opinion is that he is wrong..

and if he is in fact a judge anywhere, was a judge anywhere, or had imaginations of being a judge anywhere, he does the judiciary of where ever he sits a great disservice by giving the impression that any court of law would condone or overlook clearly demonstrated instances of perjury.

now, you don't have to take my word for it.. would ya like some references to appellate reversals or supreme court decisions that also prove that this is not the case.

Mr. Naive
I am sure we would all be fascinated to see your data, the number of successful perjury cases prosecuted, especially if you would be so kind as to line them up next the the number of cases heard in family court. Oh, but then, you would just argue that in all of the other cases, no one lied, right???

by the way, you are definitely NOT the king of Persia, you may have once been the king of Persia, but you are not currently the king. And I am willing to bet that the word naive is hardly appropriate either. So, no the monikers here don't fool most of us.

Of course it is illegal to commit perjury and no one here said anything differently.

M

Mr. Naive

I am sure we would all be fascinated to see your data, the number of successful perjury cases prosecuted
first of all, it wouldn't be my data..

second, who is this *WE* you're referring to, i only see you..

third, if you'd be so fascinated, look for that google button at the top of your browser, enter some relevant keywords, and click enter.. and satisfy your own fascination.. i'm a lil busy at the moment, too busy to waste time trying to convince someone of something that is so obvious.

nice quote, but considering that it has to do with internal revenue codes, I hardly see where it is relevant.
of course you don't.. but that's neither here nor there..

Of course it is illegal to commit perjury and no one here said anything differently.
i rest my case..

judges are held to a high degree of ethical standard.. a written high degree.. do you seriously imagine that senior judge is a real judge.. anywhere.. i mean, seriously, to be making statements like this, conveying such flase impressions..

besides, most judges have little free time on their hands to be trolling a forum making these sorta off the cuff remarks to people who in most instances, come here in a confused and vulnerable state, in search of some real advice and opinion from others who might have slightly more exposure to the law.. for someone who claims to be a senior judge to take advantage of these people and abuse them in such a way is incomprehensable as to any sort of ethical standard i'm aware of..

it even violates the minimum standard of courtesy.

simply by virtue of his/her moniker, do you really imagine he/she is a real judge.. he may change his moniker at any moment to King of Persia .. then what are ya gonna believe.

c'mon now, stop acting like a jerk, and give the person who asked the question a straight forward and courtious answer.. or, if ya can't do that, just go on to some other thread.

Mr. Naive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">