• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plea offer through a hired attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SusanDeVine

What is the name of your state? Texas

My first question has to do with the deadline of a plea offer given by the District Attorney's office, while my husband is an inmate of County jail. We hired an Attorney in February, he finally got an offer from the DA on March 17th. The Attorney in turn wrote my husband a letter with a copy of the plea and the deadline being March 28th. The attorney wrote the letter on the 18th, my husband didn't receive the letter until March 24th, which left him only 4 days to make a decision. Needless to say, the attorney did not go see my husband to discuss his options nor by the deadline. I am concerned with what the next step is, and what happens to the offer, since the deadline was missed. Also, is it standard to send a letter when an offer is made?

My second question is about the attorney. I am not sure what the guidelines are for representation. I hired the attorney, which made me his "point of contact", and have called and left messages numerous times, and none have been returned. I have also left messages for the attorney that my husband needed to see him regarding the information the attorney asked him to gather for his case. I almost feel these instances are some form of misrepresentation, or at least I feel like he is not doing what he has been paid for.

I hope you can give me some relief on these trying issues. I am completely frustrated.

Thank you,
Susan in Texas

las365

I hired the attorney, which made me his "point of contact"
Is this in the attorney-client agreement? In my opinion it would be unusual, unless your husband is mentally incompetent and you are his guardian, for the attorney to communicate regarding the case with someone other than his client. Your husband is the one charged with a crime or crimes; he is the one the lawyer represents.

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately I do not know the answers to your questions about the plea agreement deadline.

SusanDeVine

Well, since my husband is incarcerated the lawyer told me i was the "point of contact" and would contact me with every step. My husband is his client, of course, either way I feel he hasn't been properly counseling him.
Thanks for your reply!

SusanDeVine

Updated info....still have no answers! NEW QUESTION!

:( The attorney has still made NO contact with my husband, we are past the deadline, and in near panic not knowing if the offer is still standing or has been revoked. I wonder if the quote "no news is good news" refers to this as well. I know there is an order of process when it comes to the "system", I feel we are being neglected in some way.

Is there a time limit on how long an attorney can go with no contact with the client? What happens to a case when someone is sitting in jail waiting on his attorney and doesn't hear from them? Do they just get lost in the system somewhere?

Would like to have some type of real answer.

PJ Weber

Something definitely is wrong if your husband has been incarcerated prior to mid-March, and has NOT seen the Attorney you hired

What is the Attorneys excuse?

If the Attorney is part of a larger firm, go and talk to the Senior Partner

The plea window that was made on 17 March is closed, without a response :eek:

SusanDeVine

He saw him ONCE 4 weeks ago, for 10 minutes. Other than that nothing!!! I'm just here venting I guess. I know there is no easy answer and I'm sure the lawyer is covering himself somehow in order for us NOT to have a malpractice case! GRRRRRRRR

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">