• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Explain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CRM001

Breach of contract, $20,000 in dispute. I was told the case was straight forward and that they should caved in...now, after almost $10,000 in fees, lawyer keep telling me all this is just to recover my 20,000.

How does the legal system works? How do I go about getting my attys fees if the contract omits it? Please tell me there is a way...because if I have "to spend to recover" and have no chance of recovering fees then I am sure the system is not about justice but about who can hang on spending the most money.

Thanks,
"a frustrated plaintiff" in Oregon

Last edited:

sandyclaus

Breach of contract, $20,000 in dispute. I was told the case was straight forward and that they should caved in...now, after almost $10,000 in fees, lawyer keep telling me all this is just to recover my 20,000.

How does the legal system works? How do I go about getting my attys fees if the contract omits it? Please tell me there is a way...because if I have "to spend to recover" and have no chance of recovering fees then I am sure the system is not about justice but about who can hang on spending the most money.

Thanks,
"a frustrated plaintiff" in Oregon
Thanks for the rant.

Perhaps you need to ask your attorney these questions? It seems to me that if the case were this straightforward, that it shouldn't cost you upwards of $10k in legal fees just to get a judgment for the $20k in question.

More often than not, there are some defendants that do everything they can to delay the inevitable and rack up enough in attorney's fees to fight those delays in order to manipulate the plaintiffs into quitting. Happens all the time. But a smart attorney will not allow it to get to that point, or at least will keep you advised so that you don't waste your time and money chasing down a sum of money you believe you are entitled to.

Hot Topic

You should have told the attorney that when you won the case, you wanted your legal costs included in the judgement against the other party.

You have to learn a little about the legal system for your own protection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Same rant as in October...but at least he asked for advice back then:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/business-contracts-franchises-85/breach-contract-564606.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">