• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please give me some help with this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbrody

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

Is there a time limit for a Judge to make a ruling on a Motion to Strike and a Motion for Protective Order? I cannot find anything in our state court rules.

My husband and I are representing ourselves in a lawsuit against a lawyer for attorney fees. We are disputing the fees based on the lack of representation we received that actually cost us money and discrepencies and/or mistakes on the billing, which he will not even acknowledge. He filed a claim, then we filed an answer and counterclaim.

After that he sent us Requests for Admissions, Interrogatories and Production of Documents. We answered all and sent the same to him. He then filed a Motion to Strike (Our request for Admissions), a Motion for Protective Order (all of our Discovery Requests) and a Motion for Summary Judgment using our Admission answers as basis. We answered all of the Motions in Opposition. The hearing for all Motions was June 27, although oral arguments were only done on the Motion for Summary Judgment.

Within a week we received from the Judge an Order stating that the lawyer's "Motion for Summary Judgment is not well taken and hereby denied". But he did not address the other two motions.

In Mississippi he has 30 days to answer our discovery requests and now we are past that time. We are not sure what to do since the Judge has not given an answer on his Motion to Strike and Motion for Protective Order.
About 2 weeks ago I called the Court Administrator and asked about the motions and she said that he still has them under advisement or something like that. Since the time the Judge sent his ruling on the Summary Judgment the lawyer did answer our admissions requests, every answer was "Denied, Plaintiff demands Proof!"

Is there a time limit on how long the Judge has to make a decision? Is there something we should do that will not make the Judge mad?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">