• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5yearsnow

arialarialWhat is the name of your state? MA
I have a lawyer who is supposed to be representing me in my divorce. I hired him almost 5 years ago. I now owe him $2,300.00 over the long gone retainer. So far nothing has happened except for me being threatened with jail if I did not force my son to go to supervised visitation to see his abusive father, and to hear that I am going to receive $73.00 per MONTH support for 2 children ages 14 and 12 (now) because my husband successfully hid his other disability income. The mediator believed him when he said he was not getting it even tho I had a check stub proving he is getting it. My lawyer did not act on my request to force the issue of getting proof from the Co. that he is indeed getting this money.
My lawyer has not responded to any phone calls or emails. He has failed to protect my interests and those of my children. Numerous times I have asked that he file the necessary paperwork so that the home I co-own with my husband (which HE is living in) be sold or make him buy me out. My lawyer has failed to do so.
Recently my son developed severe depression and anxiety partly associated with the visitation. I called my lawyer several times with urgent messages that we needed to get the visitation dropped for the welfare of my 12 yr old. He failed to respond to the calls and to an urgent email I sent. I ended up getting my son's primary care physician to put a stop to it for health reasons.
I have no money...a fact this lawyer knew when I hired him. I feel that I am not being represented and I should be. I am living below poverty level while life just goes on for my lawyer and my husband (who by the way just bought himself a new car and did some major improvements on the house).
Can I fire this guy and get some low income legal aid assistance? Can I sue my lawyer for failure to represent me? I don't know where to turn. I cannot take it anymore. My children and I have been in counseling this whole time, my nerves are shot and I am suffering physical symptoms of the stress from this whole ordeal. It seems that my lawyer should be held responsible for his actions...or should I say "non action". Most ironic part of this is that he represents kids within the Department of Social Services for free. He was hailed in our local paper as a "very giving" attorney. Say what???
Thank you for any help/advice you can give me. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

If he receives disability from the VA go to court and get a subpoena. This will force the Va to relinquish a copy of you ex's award letter to you. Also We subpoenaed my husbands bank records. All disability is sent through direct deposit (except for the first few months) If the money is coming in it will show as being deposited and who it is from. If he was stupid enough to give you his online banking info you can also get it through there. If it is disability it will show up on his statement as this:
03/01/2005 US TREASURY 220 ; DES = VA BENEFIT; ID = XXXXXXXXX 00 40 EFF DATE: 050301; INDN: JOHN W SMITH $841.00

841.00 is what he would receive if he was 50% disabled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">