• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jstce4me

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
I dropped my vehicle off to a family mechanic for it to be fixed. I was promised the vehicle back the following day at 5pm. After not hearing from the mechanic any day and talking to family who states the car was not seen since I dropped it off. at 9pm I called to report my vehicle stolen. The officer came to take my report and stated the vehicle could be out for a test drive but needed to get a charger for his cell phone and would meet me a the mechanics home. Upon arriving the police officer ran a check on the mechanic name advised me that his license were suspended and he had been to this resident before he was sure my vehicle was stolen but declined to take the report sd wld cll me the next day to let me know if he would report it stolen. He then called and said he would not report it stolen because it was only missing 24hrs and because it was a holiday to call the following day to see if the detective to report it stolen. I then advised him the guy has been joyriding in my vehicle for almost 3days and they were doing nothing about it. I was contacted by the det. that tues. he got informtn called the guys family called me back hours later and said he would report it stolen. I went to the police station the following day which was wed. to make a statement and the vehicle was reported stolen.. Wed afternoon. it took less than 12hrs for my vehicle to be recovered and the guy was arrested less than 12hrs after that. After paying out of my pocket for my vehicles recovery and realizing because this guy had 4 free days to ride in my car he had totaled the vehicle due to engine damaged. The vehicle had been involved in sme type of accident. I feel these damages could hae been mitigated if the vehicle was reported stolen when I initailly filed the report since it took less thn 24hrs for recovery. This incident took place January 15 the vehicle was nt reported stolen until the 19th and I just recieved a call from the D.A. advising me they just recieved a copy of the police report this Police Department.. Can i hold them accountable for this negligenceWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ga

FlyingRon

Because the cop has no responsibility to mitigate your damages. The fact that you entrusted the car to a mechanic doesn't necessarily mean it's stolen even if it's return is overdue. There appears to be no gross negligence in his wait and see attitude, even if a faster response may (and that's a big IF) kept the guy from wrecking your car before it was recovered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">