• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poor Client Relations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe645

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Recently, a domestic battery charge was placed against my Grandson for which we (Grandparents) posted bond. Unknown to me my wife asked the bail bond agent for the name of a reasonable lawyer to defend my Grandson. He referred her to one and she paid $750 to retain his services. He presumably attended the bond hearing and a trial date was set for Nov. 2016. Subsequently, I have done some research on this lawyer on Lawyer.com and am a little concerned at the LOW rating posted and some bad reviews as to his client relationships. Nevertheless, I have called him on 2 different occasions as well as sending an email message to him trying to set up an appointment to discuss the case while the facts are still clear. My wife has also tried to contact him to no avail. To me this is not a sign of a professional, especially not to even acknowledge our mail or calls. What if any options do I have? I know I can fire him but what happens to the $750 retainer?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Recently, a domestic battery charge was placed against my Grandson for which we (Grandparents) posted bond. Unknown to me my wife asked the bail bond agent for the name of a reasonable lawyer to defend my Grandson. He referred her to one and she paid $750 to retain his services. He presumably attended the bond hearing and a trial date was set for Nov. 2016. Subsequently, I have done some research on this lawyer on Lawyer.com and am a little concerned at the LOW rating posted and some bad reviews as to his client relationships. Nevertheless, I have called him on 2 different occasions as well as sending an email message to him trying to set up an appointment to discuss the case while the facts are still clear. My wife has also tried to contact him to no avail. To me this is not a sign of a professional, especially not to even acknowledge our mail or calls. What if any options do I have? I know I can fire him but what happens to the $750 retainer?
The attorney your wife hired for your grandson represents the grandson. As such, the attorney will not communicate with you or your wife or tell you about what is happening in your grandson's case, absent consent from your grandson.

I suggest that, if you want information, you speak to your grandson to find out what is going on with his domestic battery case.

Because the $750 retainer seems low, I doubt if any refund will be available.

You can read through the Nevada Attorney Rules of Professional Conduct to see why the attorney for your grandson is not responding to your emails or calls to discuss your grandson's case: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/courtrules/rpc.html

Last edited:

joe645

The attorney your wife hired for your grandson represents the grandson. As such, the attorney will not communicate with you or your wife or tell you about what is happening in your grandson's case, absent consent from your grandson.

I suggest that, if you want information, you speak to your grandson to find out what is going on with his domestic battery case.

Because the $750 retainer seems low, I doubt if any refund will be available.

You can read through the Nevada Attorney Rules of Professional Conduct to see why the attorney for your grandson is not responding to your emails or calls to discuss your grandson's case: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/courtrules/rpc.html
Communication with us was agreed upon between our grandson and the attorney. It just so happens that today, I made another attempt to contact him and finally got a return phone call. He has agreed to refund the entire amount. We accept and have already found another attorney. Thanks for your reply.

Silverplum

Communication with us was agreed upon between our grandson and the attorney. It just so happens that today, I made another attempt to contact him and finally got a return phone call. He has agreed to refund the entire amount. We accept and have already found another attorney. Thanks for your reply.
The Q-Effect...?

Or with no dash: The Q Effect. Voting begins now.

(OG, as always, reigns supreme, but was not here.)

quincy

That was fast.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">