• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pressured by Lawyer to pay additional retainer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pnov

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.

My wife retained a lawyer for a criminal case. We had a trial date and my wife attempted ended up in the hospital and got chaptered into a mental institution. I called the lawyer to let him know the situation, since she would not be able to be at the court hearing. He asked me to see him in his office. I went in the following day and he made calls to the court to see if the chapter had gone through yet. The next day he called me and said that we had to have a lawyer to represent her at the chapter hearing and since he already "worked 3 hours on the case" we needed to come in and pay a retainer on that case. I said it was up to my wife as it was her case. He called my wife in the hospital and pressured her into agreeing. I payed the retainer. Later we found out that a lawyer was not nessecery from several people at the hospital and court.

Do we have any recourse? The lawyer has sent his invoice and the two cases are mixed together and we owe more money.
He has since called and was verbaly abusive to my wife when she mentioned that we didn't need him for the chapter. After that phone conversation he has removed hiself from the criminal case.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">