• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Attorney Threatening Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Awhile ago I switched attorneys. I felt that the one I had previously had not taken enough interest or frankly done anything on my case. I had given him evidence he had not looked at and he often did not return phone calls or emails. After I switched attorneys I wrote an honest review of his services. It was not favorable. He has refused to refund the money that is owed to me and has started threatening me in order to get the review I left removed. I checked and I don't even have the ability to remove it anymore. I know I can file a complaint with the bar association, but is there anywhere else I should file a complaint or anything. My new attorney has already told me that he thinks what my last attorney is doing may be unethical. Advice? Thanks.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Awhile ago I switched attorneys. I felt that the one I had previously had not taken enough interest or frankly done anything on my case. I had given him evidence he had not looked at and he often did not return phone calls or emails. After I switched attorneys I wrote an honest review of his services. It was not favorable. He has refused to refund the money that is owed to me and has started threatening me in order to get the review I left removed. I checked and I don't even have the ability to remove it anymore. I know I can file a complaint with the bar association, but is there anywhere else I should file a complaint or anything. My new attorney has already told me that he thinks what my last attorney is doing may be unethical. Advice? Thanks.
My advice is to listen to your new attorney. No one on this forum has access to the facts of your case.

I hope your "honest" review of your previous attorney's services did not stray from provable facts into false and defamatory statements.

My advice is to listen to your new attorney. No one on this forum has access to the facts of your case.

I hope your "honest" review of your previous attorney's services did not stray from provable facts into false and defamatory statements.
Online review.

Nope, I have proof to substantiate everything. Even my current attorney witnessed some of it when he went to pick up my paperwork from this other attorney. I'm trying to leave the current attorney out being that this portion really doesn't concern him. Other than the fact that I was going to pay him with the refund I was owed from the other guy. I think he was just as surprised as I was with this other attorneys behavior.

quincy

Online review.

Nope, I have proof to substantiate everything. Even my current attorney witnessed some of it when he went to pick up my paperwork from this other attorney. I'm trying to leave the current attorney out being that this portion really doesn't concern him. Other than the fact that I was going to pay him with the refund I was owed from the other guy. I think he was just as surprised as I was with this other attorneys behavior.
If the attorney is angry enough about the review, you may need to prove the truth of what you wrote in court, so it is good that you have this proof available.

You can file a complaint with the Missouri Bar Association (http://www.mobar.org) if your former attorney's conduct warrants it, and they will investigate.

Everything else you should probably leave in the hands of your new attorney.

Good luck, missy66611.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">